The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 PM

nyadirondacks will become famous soon enough
Default pond brookies

what are your best patterns for pond brookies?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: pond brookies

No secret weapon here, I used to fish for them in beaver ponds back in PA. I found that those brook trout that seem so easily fooled in the creek become sometimes impossible when in a nice clear still water.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Red Duponts...gets them everytime

Dave
Old 03-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

...You're going to want some streamers. In Maine those would include black ghosts, gray ghosts, mickyfinns, and hornbergs, especially the hornberg variation with a red underwing... not sure what that's called.
For dies, match the hatch as well as possible and don't miss carrying some big Wluffs for the green and brown drakes. Speckled duns (callibaetis) are not just a western mayfly, we have them here in the east too.
Nymphs would include dragonflies and leeches
Old 03-14-2011, 04:11 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing beats a Renegade for a dry fly to beaver pond brookies.

Kelly.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:16 PM

rusty_r is on a distinguished road

I always had good luck with sparkle body woolly worms. Red tail, sparkle chenile for the body, and grizzly hackle. Used to strip them along the bottom of the ponds on a full sink line. Never failed.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
No secret weapon here, I used to fish for them in beaver ponds back in PA. I found that those brook trout that seem so easily fooled in the creek become sometimes impossible when in a nice clear still water.
So true. I start with a size 14 wolly bugger usialy in black. I have good luck on stimulators up top, but honestly i find streamers more effective here.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:18 PM

bigspencer is on a distinguished road

Matching a specific part of a hatch is a lot of fun. Other patterns work in specific places/times...terrestrials, muddler minnow, leech pattern = not the most fun to use. True, in some waters with specific feed with unique pigmentation.....certain colors are mint...virtually everything has a unique coloring to it.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

In the Sierra the beaver pond brookies like the same stuff as bows...adams, caddis, ants, etc. Having said that, they really do seem to like most anything orange, and especially a high riding coachman will often trick them. My experience only.

If they are eating only sub-surface I usually go looking for some bows or browns, except at the unnamed lake where Walter lives. They like leeches and scuds there on a slow troll and strip/twitch.

-Mike
Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM

goofnoff2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyadirondacks View Post
what are your best patterns for pond brookies?
If you can get a boat on the pond try dabbling wet flies at dusk. It is the old guides method for the Adirondack brookies.