The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 05:58 PM

natermotor is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing the Gunpowder River in MD?

I would like to know what to use, where to go, just everything! Thanks!
Old 10-11-2009, 01:53 PM

ab4usa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fishing the Gunpowder River in MD?

For catch and release you can fish from the Pretty Boy dam to well below Big Falls Road. I don't know that I have aver fished below that bridge but I do know it does continue from there. Around Glencoe Road it becomes put and take. If you are a good hiker, fish the upper area. You will have a mixture of bows and browns up there. The rest of the river will be mostly brows but all native.

For the Upper area take Mt. Carmel to Evna to Falls Road (right). You will pass a parking lot for hunters and then the upper parking lot for fishers. There is a trail to take you to the river. If you contine past this parking lot you will come to another one with a less strenuous hike to the river or you can walk down to the bridge and fish up or down (my current favorite). For low impact exercise take Massmore road off of Mt. Carmel and park by the bridge. There are two or thre other places to access the river.

There are two good fly shops in the area. Both have guides working out of them. Both will be able to tell you what is working and where. Great Feathers is on york road below Belfast Road. Backwater Angler is on York Road just south of Mt Carmal. Both have web sites. Both have very nice people.