The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 05:47 PM

lefty2 is on a distinguished road
Default 6wt for steelhead

does anyone use 6wts for steelhead? any problems? i fish ohio and pa. streams and just started using fly rods.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:44 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 6wt for steelhead

A 6 wt will work, though, IMO, a 7 or 8 wt would be a better choice. At the very least you'll want a fighting butt on your rod. A decent size, hot fish will be hard to control, and your arm will get tired fast.
BTW, I've landed steelheads on 5 and 6 wt rods. It was just lots more work than a heavier rod with a fighting butt.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:10 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I use 6 weights for Steelhead in Northern California inland waterways (American, Yuba, Feather, Lower Sacramento, Trinity River). Most of the fish are in the 4 to 8 pound range. Modern 6 weight rods have plenty of backbone to subdue these fish.

If I decided to fish the Northern California coastal waterways, I'd fish a 7 weight. Those fish are bigger and meaner.

What it is going to come down are two things. Knowing the size of the fish that you are targeting will help. Knowing your fish fighting skills will help, too.

MP
Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I have a 10' 6wt Echo, it has a fighting butt and I really like the rod. I have not had any problems with it.

Dan
Old 10-13-2009, 05:40 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

A 6wt works fine especially if you have one already and want to get into steel fishing. I wouldnt pick a 6wt just for steelies like others said a 7-8wt is better choice.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Glad i saw this post as was just about to ask the same question. Im going to be taking up steelhead fishing myself very soon here in Mi. I have 2 six weights that i use for trout and smallies and was thinking it should work ok as i have nailed some huge largemouth and smallies with no problem at all.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 AM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Here a couple steel caught on a 6wt last year, one was just under 10lbs, hope this answers ???'s..lol.Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:09 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

The 6wt will work for you; don't go buy a rig before you decide if it's something you will keep doing. After you decide you like steelhead fishing go for a rod/reel combo made for steelhead; 10' 7wt, or 8wt, or a 6wt if you want.

Dan