The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 11:39 PM

blakejd will become famous soon enough
Default Fish identification

I've never much cared about what trout is what and so I've never gotten very good at identification but this one has me curious. If its what I think (brookie) its the largest I've caught and considering it was landed in a 15x45 beaver pond its huge. My best guess is a very fat 15in but could have been up to 17-18 (it slipped out of my hand as I was releasing it). Anybody know for sure? Thanks!
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Fish identification

That is a brook trout. Nice catch!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fish identification

I concur; Salvelinus fontinalis, brook trout a member of the char family. You are fortunate to live where they exist. They were my favorite for many years.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-02-2009, 12:43 AM

Thanks. I was pretty sure but there are some close stocked areas that threw in a shadow of doubt. I sight fished this and one other over two days but the tight brush kept my cast off and kept a few flys to boot. He was a beauty. Took two or three nice runs under fallen logs and i thought I'd lost him for a minute or two. I went back today in hopes of landing one of them again but it seems they may have moved on. Hopefully they'll be there for the melt off.
Hardy, yes I'm very fortunate. The brookies around here are great for those willing to do a little exploration.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:54 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Nice Brookie! I'm not sure which region that you are in. But here in Northern California, a Brookie over 10 inches is considered big. You scored big time.

I hope that Brookie survives long enough for a new alpha fish to take over that pond. It isn't often that a Brookie that large is seen (with exception to a few regions.)

MP
Old 11-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I concur; Salvelinus fontinalis, brook trout a member of the char family. You are fortunate to live where they exist. They were my favorite for many years.
Salvelinus fontinalis= saumon de fontaine in french,Ard a beautiful fish!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Nice Brookie! I'm not sure which region that you are in. But here in Northern California, a Brookie over 10 inches is considered big. You scored big time.

I hope that Brookie survives long enough for a new alpha fish to take over that pond. It isn't often that a Brookie that large is seen (with exception to a few regions.)

MP
Thanks. I'm on the front range of Colorado. I have a few chains of ponds I visit throughout the year that produce some nice brookies with the occasional reaching 11-12in but this is by far the largest I've caught. Its at a lower elevation so longer growing season and its close to a large lake so again better growing season and more food.