The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 07:41 PM

idahoflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Priceless

orvis 8 wt rod= $300
orvis reel= $120
Fly line= $50
dozen flies= $20
4 trips to the clearwater= $80 for gas
First steelhead ever= PRICELESS

I finally caught my first steelhead. On a whims i decided that i would procrastinate doing my projects and papers for one more afternoon and i would go steelhead fishing instead. It was an absolutely beautiful day on the clearwater and i ended up catching my first steelhead. It was a wild 33 incher that gobbled up a purple egg sucking leech i had tied. I have never fought anything that fun before. It was pretty unreal. Unfortunetly no pictures though. I left my camera at home and remembered it 20 minutes from the apartment and figured that i wouldn't be needing it. I will never do that again. Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great info they gave me on my other thread and say that it all paid off. Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Priceless

Congrats on your first steelie! Even better that it was hooked on a fly you tied!

Larry
Old 11-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Excellent!

Sometimes we have to leave the camera behind to prime the pump. Now get busy with those chores and papers tomorrow!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-07-2009, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the 'grats you two.

Hardy, I am actually trying to pound out a good chunk of this paper tonight (a saturday night with a football home game i am missing!) in order to make sometime for another trip tomorrow. If steelhead were a drug, I think I would be addicted...
Old 11-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoflyfisher View Post
Thanks for the 'grats you two.

Hardy, I am actually trying to pound out a good chunk of this paper tonight (a saturday night with a football home game i am missing!) in order to make sometime for another trip tomorrow. If steelhead were a drug, I think I would be addicted...
Yes, I have heard that before, fishing steelies can be very addicting! Get that paper done and high tail it out for another chance at them tomorrow. Good fishing!

Larry
Old 11-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nothing like an eleventh hour research paper is there? I suffered the same delay strategy myself.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-07-2009, 11:01 PM

You said it Hardy. I am a pretty bad procrastinator. Once i start a paper i can crank it out without too much trouble. It is just that initial start that gets me.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:38 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Congrats on your first... Another addict created...Now get the paper finished so you can get back out there.

Dan
Old 11-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That's a sure way to catch a nice fish, either forget the camera altogether, or forget to check battery levels.

Nice job on your first Steelhead.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Again thanks for the congrats from everyone. So last night i powered out half of my paper and woke up early and went fishing again today . I decided to try my luck at the same spot. It was overcast, a little wind, and a little rainy, but overall great weather. I came up empty handed this time though. I fished all day with coffee/snack breaks every couple hours. It was a great day all in all. After you get that first steelhead, it is so much easier convincing yourself to stay on the water longer. Your hands are cold, stomach is rumbling, arm is tired, yet you don't think about any of that. Just the anticipation of that bump on each cast and swing.