The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 06:30 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Salmon River Steelhead

Marty and I fished the Salmon River at Pulaski, NY last weekend. It was cold, but it was fun.

We fished with a friend, Gary Edwards. Gary's son, Jason, is the River keeper and General Manager of the Douglaston Salmon Run stretch; about 3 miles of water that starts approx. 1 mile above the mouth of the Salmon River where it empties into Lake Ontario. With Jason's help, we got to the good spots early, which was fortunate for us, since the fishing traffic on Saturday was pretty heavy.

The water was really low for this time of year and the flow was only about 335 cfs; which is about 1/2 of what it usually is in early November; so the fish that were in the River were in the 4-5 ft. holes, but there weren't many of them. This we found out first-hand as well as from talking to several other groups of anglers who passed by on their way to some of the other well-known holes.

We fished mostly around what's known locally as the "high bank hole" and up against the bank and under some fallen trees, we found some Steelheads and Brown Trout.

Here are some pics of the Douglaston stretch of the Salmon River:

Click the image to open in full size.

In two mornings of fishing, I hooked 8 fish, but only landed 2. Marty hooked 5 and landed one. Not impressive stats, but we were fishing light tippets (5X); the feeling being that stealth is better than strength when there aren't many fish running up from the lake. Those that were biting, were hitting on orange sucker spawn and glow bug eggs (chartreuse and light orange were the best colors).

Almost every time that I got broken off, I looked down and there were my big fingers holding the reel winder when I should have been letting the drag do its thing. Small stream trout habits die hard, but if I'd been able to learn more quickly, I would have gotten more fish to net. I had a nice 10 lb Brown on that was just about landed when he took off on one last run. I watched as my line headed towards the fallen tree in one of the pictures above. I inverted my rod to play him as low as possible, but he wrapped the line, rolled it a couple of times and that was that; gone with the wind.

More than half of the anglers were fishing 14 ft. rods with centerpin reels giving them long dead drifts and were, in general, fishing real eggs, but I don't think that their luck was much better than ours was on the artificials.

Here's a fish that went for sucker spawn:

And one of the ones that I managed to work into my net:

And here's one for Marty, with Gary helping her hold it:

Did I mention that it was cold on Saturday; 30 degrees with a strong wind; great way to test you "chuck and duck" fishing skills!:

But, on Sunday, it was 65 degrees, sunny and no wind (also not many fish!):

All in all, a good time. Not as many fish as we would have liked, but nice fish just the same and a new experience for two people who spend most of their time fishing small freestone creeks for Brookies. If I was to measure this trip in Brookie-speak, I'd have to say that we hooked 13 fish between us, but we landed over 20!

We're definitely going back!

Pocono
Old 11-11-2009, 07:00 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salmon River Steelhead

It reads like good times. Thanks for the post.

MP
Old 11-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Really nice pictures Allen,

The water was definitely low for you I never minded 400 - 450 cfm it made finding fish easy but provided a decent flow. The fish in your photos are nice and bright. That was always my attraction to the lower river late fall & early spring. I have fished for those dark giants up by Altmar and enjoyed the bright ones down below so much more.

Thanks for the memories,

Ard
Old 11-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful pics and fish!looks like Marty's steelhead is bigger than yours Allan
Next time you wade watch out when you lean on a tree!
Thanks for sharing this great experience
Old 11-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Allan,

Thanks for sharing what was obviously a great day on the water. Smiles all around.

Frank
Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Great report Allen, You have to love those fall football shaped Steelies...

Dan
Old 11-14-2009, 03:30 PM

lourdios will become famous soon enoughlourdios will become famous soon enough

nice pics and report Pocono