The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 06:35 PM

quackhead35 is on a distinguished road
Default First trip help

I will be taking my first Trout trip next week. I am not new to fly-fishing but new to trout. I am trying to figure out what flies to take with me. I have talked to a local shop and found out a few flies that have been working. But I am still trying to figure out what works as I have never been out. Right now I have 50 zebra midges in #18 and #20 in a few colors, about 30 Eggs in few colors, a couple of grifits nats and some random flies that have been picked up through out the years. I'm still in the middle of tying up some more zebra midges and eggs and thought that if I needed to tie up some others I might want to figure them out now instead of too late.

So what flies would be good for this fall?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:05 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: First trip help

I'm new to fly fishing also, but I've learned to listen to the local fly shops near where I've fished. None have steered me wrong yet.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:48 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

Where are you going??
Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Quack,
It looks like your local shop is steering you towards the right direction. During the fall, smaller bugs become more prevalent in most stream environments (especially tailwaters). Zebra Midges and Griffith's Gnats (floating rafts of midges) are always good staples to have. I am assuming that the egg patterns will represent Brown Trout eggs since they spawn in the fall. I would put into your selection is the Blue Wing Olive mayfly in a nymph, emerger, and adult form. Think small for those, too (16-20 for nymph and emerger, 18-22 for adult).

Since you are new to trout fly fishing, learn where not to step. Brown Trout spawn during this time of year. You do not want to walk on its redds. Also do not target spawning Browns. Let them do their thing to help ensure the next generation. If you choose to, target the Rainbows or Brookies that feed on the eggs instead.

MP
Old 11-18-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colotrout View Post
Where are you going??
I have 3 choices to pick from in missouri - bennett springs, montauk and maramec springs. I will probably go to maramec since its open all week and wont have to fight the weekend crowds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Hi Quack,
It looks like your local shop is steering you towards the right direction. During the fall, smaller bugs become more prevalent in most stream environments (especially tailwaters). Zebra Midges and Griffith's Gnats (floating rafts of midges) are always good staples to have. I am assuming that the egg patterns will represent Brown Trout eggs since they spawn in the fall. I would put into your selection is the Blue Wing Olive mayfly in a nymph, emerger, and adult form. Think small for those, too (16-20 for nymph and emerger, 18-22 for adult).

Since you are new to trout fly fishing, learn where not to step. Brown Trout spawn during this time of year. You do not want to walk on its redds. Also do not target spawning Browns. Let them do their thing to help ensure the next generation. If you choose to, target the Rainbows or Brookies that feed on the eggs instead.

MP
I will have to look into the BWO's, need to see what i'll need.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quackhead,
I am origanly from MO. and have fished BS and RR for years, a buddy called me this year and said that RR(Roaring river) is a mess, they done alot of work to it that killed fly fishing. BS (Bennette Springs) is where I first started flyfishing, and there are a few flies that I always took with me. There is one that I have never seen fished any place else, not even sure what its called, but its a very basic fly, its nothing but lead wire wrapped on a hook then painted white and fished under a strike indecater. Egg patterns mianly tri color always did well for me. Parachute adams in 14-18. pheasent tail nymphs in 16 and 18. Light Cahills in 14-16. Saun juan worms in red size 12. Renegads in 12-16. And good ol' wolly buggers in brown, olive, black, and ginegr in a small and larger size says 6's and 10's. If they still do it, there use to be a couple fish cleaning stations where guys would throw the heads ansd skins of fish in the river, trout would come in and eat on them, I use to catch alot of fish with a ginger or flesh color wollybugger at those stations.
One other option is a very small micro jig in black and yellow fished under a strike ind. .
Hows the duck huntng on your side of the state? Talked to a good friend the other day from where I am from NW MO. and they been knocking the hell out of 'em.
Bear
Old 11-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
Quackhead,
I am origanly from MO. and have fished BS and RR for years, a buddy called me this year and said that RR(Roaring river) is a mess, they done alot of work to it that killed fly fishing. BS (Bennette Springs) is where I first started flyfishing, and there are a few flies that I always took with me. There is one that I have never seen fished any place else, not even sure what its called, but its a very basic fly, its nothing but lead wire wrapped on a hook then painted white and fished under a strike indecater. Egg patterns mianly tri color always did well for me. Parachute adams in 14-18. pheasent tail nymphs in 16 and 18. Light Cahills in 14-16. Saun juan worms in red size 12. Renegads in 12-16. And good ol' wolly buggers in brown, olive, black, and ginegr in a small and larger size says 6's and 10's. If they still do it, there use to be a couple fish cleaning stations where guys would throw the heads ansd skins of fish in the river, trout would come in and eat on them, I use to catch alot of fish with a ginger or flesh color wollybugger at those stations.
One other option is a very small micro jig in black and yellow fished under a strike ind. .
Hows the duck huntng on your side of the state? Talked to a good friend the other day from where I am from NW MO. and they been knocking the hell out of 'em.
Bear
Ya I heard that about RR, which is why I am going with the other 3. I do have some Pheasant tails, a adams and cahill - only 1 each, and then a few buggers in a few colors. I was going to tie up a few more buggers in a few more colors so that I have a few more.

I actually live in Illinois just about 20 mins east of St. Louis. But I have only been out twice and it was faily slow after opening weekend. I have gotten 4 ducks and 1 goose, more than 90% of the places i hunt are too flooded to hunt in. I was also an idiot and gave the birds to a buddy to cook and forgot to ask for feathers.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:20 PM

Bamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the rough

All good suggestions for MO trout, I would add some FC Cracklebacks in yellow and olive, prince nymph in white and yellow and maybe a zugbug or two.
A good book that you might already have is "Fly Fishing for Trout in Missouri" by Chuck Tryon. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Fly...1459932/?itm=5

A lot of good information on the bugs and streams.
GJ
Old 11-18-2009, 08:19 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

sorry to hear about the water Quack, its like that in alot of places here in Arkansas as well, killing my fishing right now.
Bamboo, that is a great book, I have read my copy so mnay times the pages are coeming out, lol
Bear
Old 11-19-2009, 06:37 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

ARFISHINBEAR was on the mark.

Don't forget the WoolyBugger with a Crackle combo down at Bennett. Get it deep. Hairs ear works well below the dam. Update on your sucess. If you ask around while down at Bennet see about a hike upstream from the BarClay access. If DNR has stocked and they are about to it is a ball.

Two links to follow for Mo
http://www.missouritrout.com/weavers/report.html
http://www.missouritrout.com/weather.html

Roaring below the cleaning area at the Catch and Release as well as below Zone 3 can be fun this time of year. NO CAMPERS. Woolybuggers, HairsEars and Worm patterns. I fished it 3 weeks ago.

Merimac this summer was POOR below the Park. Poachers and highwater killed the trout. I did catch a sucker on an hairsear. Guess I was fishing deep.

Good luck

PS... Don't forget the urban trout program in ST. Louis. JeffCity McKay lake has one as well.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Also..... It is now Catch and Release only.. Bennett is open Friday - Monday. Merimac is open all week. The rivers below the Parks are open to C&R all week. Crowds now are really nice.. none nobody zippo... If you are fishing to keep and get to a Park on the wrong day you might night fish..