The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 06:35 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up How many of you use Rubber Legged Bugs?

I've fished many years and haven't used rubber legged bugs but this year I just started to using Black BH rubber legged stone flies and have caught some very nice Trout!!!! So how many of you on the forum use rubber legged Bugs? Tight Lines!
Lambster
Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many of you use Rubber Legged Bugs?

I use them. I always have a few in my fly boxes.

MP

Edit: Here's one of my favorite flies. It's called the Jackson's Ugly Bug. It's commercially available in size 4 and 6, but I tied mine up in size 2.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 11-25-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added something
Old 11-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: How many of you use Rubber Legged Bugs?

Where do you all find these? Do they come in sizes suitable for # 18 flies and smaller?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

caught a couple steelhead on the rubber legged stoneflies! also tie up some foam beetles or spiders with rubber legs for panfish.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:36 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

I use them for fast water trout, warm water, and saltwater fishing.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 11-25-2009, 06:55 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I tied up some rubber leg girdle bugs for the nymph swap, made a couple for my box as well, hoping to fish them this weekend.

d
Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Legs tied long have that enticing wiggle that Steelies like... I also have started tying some of my stonefly tails using rubber leg material...

Dan
Old 11-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Lambster: I love to use girdle bugs on a nymph rig on the Colorado River. Those big browns really attack that fly (nothing suttle about the take). Next year, we will need to give them a try on the Green River, I bet they will work there also.

Larry
Old 11-25-2009, 04:56 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I've been using Amy's Ant for the last two years with great success. She brings em up from the depths.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:34 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

I just got back from three days spent trout fishing and was consistently catching fish on #4-6 stoneflies fished deep under an indicator in bouldery runs and glides. The fly was basically the same as the photo MoscaPescador posted, although substituting a material called Flex Floss in place of the round rubber. IMO it seems to have more wiggle in the water than the round rubber.

I've also used rubber as tails on smaller Prince nymphs and other bugs, it's easier than tying in biots...as well as using them on larger Copper Johns, Prince Nymphs, etc with success. As for dries- Madame X's, rubber-legged stimulators, foam flies and hopper/bug patterns like Amy's Ant and Fat Alberts have all been successful flies for me incorporting rubber legs.