The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 10:16 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough
Default Swinging for steelies

Could someone please explain to me what type of a setup (i.e. rigging) I need for swinging for steelies. I got my fly but am I am suppose to weight the fly or use slip shots to weight the leader. And I use a float to indictate my strike correct?

I got some flies for swinging that are unweighted not sure if they are suppose to float on the top of water or underneath it.

Can someone please help? I am confused
Old 11-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Swinging for steelies

Mike,

Swinging is simply a term applied to the good old wet fly swing If you have a 9' 7wt or similar you have the rod. Flies, typically standard soft hackle wet flies, salmon size or smaller are used. Sometimes a feather wing streamer or a woolly bugger is used. It is a classic across or quartered upstream cast followed by some mending to allow the fly and sink tip or lead head to sink, followed by a few downstream mends to bring the fly cross current as it swings. To execute a real swing the weight is in the tip or head not a bunch of split shot although I swing flies with shot too.

If you are hearing the term swinging for steelhead in other circles than this forum they may be talking about using two handed rods 13' - 15' in length to do it. On medium sized rivers and creeks a 9' rod will get it done the salmon in my avatar was caught swinging a wet fly.

If you want to discuss this deeper PM to me and I will do all that I can to help you.

Ard
Old 11-25-2009, 11:08 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I use 6lb tippet or so. I also use 8lb and have used 4lb once when water was very clear. I tie my own flies so I usually add weight to my fly like a beadhead or conehead or some lead underneath the fly.. if not u can prolly get away with use a split shot 8 inches or so above your fly. I use shot for drifting egg patterns so whats the diff if u swing it. no need for a indicator wither. just watch the end of your fly line tip right where it connects to the leader. any sudden or unnatural movements give it a strip and set the hook. the fish usually take it on the pause so keep your eye on that tip and be ready to set the hook! I usually just cast ou, mend it and let it swing in the current then strip it in with a strip pause type retrieve. if waters are slow and deep u can still fish it still no need to swing it tho just cast across the deep hole and let it sink to desired depth and strip it in. works great for steel and even bass this way too. if ya need more help ask away!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:52 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Could someone please explain to me what type of a setup (i.e. rigging) I need for swinging for steelies.
You can either use a single handed or a two handed rod. What will be important is line, leader, and fly selection. Your choice will dictate how deep your fly descends.

You can use a floating line with a long leader (about 15 feet) with a hydrodynamic fly. This combination used with some strategic mending will allow the fly to sink very fast.

You can use a floating line with a standard length leader (about 9 feet) with any Steelhead fly. This combination will keep the fly closer to the top. In most cases the fly will be fishable just underneath the surface film.

You can use a sinktip line in which 15' to 24' of the head sinks and the rest floats. Choose a line that the sink rate will be the one that works for your body of water. Usually with sink tip lines, a shorter leader is used. I normally tie on 3' to 5' of tippet material to my butt section. That way the fly stays close to the depth of the sink tip.

All the major line companies make fly lines that have interchangable tip sections. The kit will usually have a floating, intermediate, type 3, type 6, and sometimes type 8 tips. You can change out your tip sections for the one that will work best for the depth you are fishing.

You can also use sinking leaders to help get your flies down if need be. These leaders are connected to floating fly lines with loop to loop connections.

Confused? Visit your local fly shop to get visual descriptions on what I am describing.

Quote:
I got my fly but am I am suppose to weight the fly or use slip shots to weight the leader. And I use a float to indictate my strike correct?
Just say no to split shot and indicators for swinging! The traditional swing technique was mentioned by Hardyreels.

The swing is all about feeling the take. You aren't looking at a silly little indo-bobber and guessing if that little nudge was a grab. On the swing, you will know if a fish is hitting your fly.

Quote:
I got some flies for swinging that are unweighted not sure if they are suppose to float on the top of water or underneath it.
I'd say your flies are subsurface. They can be fished just under the surface film or a several feet down. What will dictate the depth that you fish is both the type of line that you use and the leader's length.

Quote:
Can someone please help? I am confused
There are so many more pieces to the equation. I hope I got the basics out to you.

MP
Old 11-26-2009, 08:42 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

MP and Hardy gave you Great Advice!

Dan
Old 11-26-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the tips much helpful. I already got a rod or two or three. Will not be using my spey rod or switch rod though. Most likely will stick with my 9wt. Ironically I been steelhead fishing and salmon fishing but never swing flies for them only used egg patterns in a nymph style drift.

Going out tomorrow morning on Black Friday. Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:09 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your time out on the water.

MP
Old 11-28-2009, 11:38 PM

It worked.

Click the image to open in full size.

Caught it within 35 mins at arriving at the creek we fished first. Was a bad creek to swing flies on was 7 feet wide and had thick tree line on both banks.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:27 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

nice fish!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:16 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Very nice looking Steel!

Dan