The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 08:59 AM

wayland46 is on a distinguished road
Talking Catch And Release

Came across an article on the Virginia State website concerning their catch and release streams. In it they say not to "pump" fish forward and back prior to release. I have always done so on "tired fish". Does anyone know of a reason not to?

"Whip Me, Strip Me, Tie Me, Fly Me"
Old 12-07-2009, 09:28 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Catch And Release

Fish are not designed to swim backwards. Their gills only work when moving forward. It's best to hold the fish in a moderate current or other highly oxygenated water facing up stream. Keep them out of muddy or debris ridden water also. Let the fish swim away vigorously from your hand on it's own.
If you are with a friend he (she) can stand up stream and swish water over the fishes head to add oxygen to the water and help revive the fish.
Do not squeeze the fish as this can cause internal injury. Firmly grasp the fish at the tail and cup your hand just behind the pectoral fins when holding your fish
Old 12-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Catch And Release

Great explaination Yat!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;