The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Whats' the Best productive stream you've ever fished (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/11971-whats-best-productive-stream-youve-ever-fished.html)

Lambster 12-13-2009 11:44 AM

Whats' the Best productive stream you've ever fished

We've fished all over the US. and been in some o the best streams known to man but if you hadn't fished Mill Creek in Montana or Libby Creek in Wyoming your missing some of the best waters that you'll ever fish! These two streams have produced 40 plus Trout a day with a consistant sizes of 12 to 14 inch with mixtures of Brookies,Browns and Cutties. Those states are truly Blessed with radiants of colored trout that I've ever seen in all the fishing I've done! We base a stream on its production of trout by habitat, water quality,stream beds and stream presssure. Your stream will differ but we'd like to see what you think! Tight Lines!
Lambster

catfish 12-13-2009 06:30 PM

Re: Whats' the Best productive stream you've ever fished

this year it was the dream stream
everytime i fished it i had a great day maybe not 40 fish per day
but a great day none the less:D

Jimmie 12-13-2009 07:05 PM

Don't think that I've ever had one consistently good stream. I lived on the Kern River and there were days that were a lot better than others.
The one insanely good day of all of my fishing was a beaver pond on the flats of Robinson Creek (think it was Robinson) just above the East Walker River in the eastern Sierras. Still remember having to walk past this huge bull to get to it. He was lying down. Luckily he never got up.

fish_gypsy 12-13-2009 08:43 PM

No way I'd give out that info online- I won't even tell my fishing partners that sort of thing. Suffice it to say I did a ton of legwork, spent three weeks in Wyoming and Montana, and a couple days, maybe two or three out of all of them, were truly spectacular. Every day was good, though :)

MoscaPescador 12-13-2009 09:21 PM

I've mentioned my home waters in threads before, but they don't offer 40 fish days. I'm happy to get a one. A great day would be a few! After being pounded over by many fishermen year round, the fish are highly educated.

The most productive water that I fished is on a friend's private property in the Sierra. It's an unnamed trib of a popular stream. It's loaded with Rainbow Trout of all sizes. It's spring fed, so there is plenty of cold water.

MP

mcnerney 12-13-2009 09:51 PM

Most productive stream I've fished would have to be in Alaska. The Kenai during the salmon runs can be phenomenal..........during a good run you can catch and release 6-15 lb fish until you can't hold your rod up any longer, but the Kenai probably isn't the best stream, there are just too many excellent streams to name just one!

Larry

troutdoorsman 12-14-2009 12:30 AM

The most productive stream I have fished is also in the Sierra's but more to the north. I will not say the name but will say it is one of the most difficult to wade. A lot of broken ankles have occurred.

Guest1 12-14-2009 12:40 AM

I'm not one of those who've fished a lot of small water. But when I was growing up in Colorado I fished a small stream named Soda Creek. I caught Brook Trout there that were so big none of the locals I showed pictures to believed they were Brook Trout. I had one that went an easy 5 pounds. I'm sure there are still fish like that there because it is now in the middle of a ski area and golf course. You can't fish there anymore, so the fish are safe to just get big. I had a small lake not far from there that was another "can't fish here" spot with a real dark green and red strain of Cutthroat that were just gigantic. Probably still no fishing there either. :cool:

If big isn't a disqualifier, then the Rainy River is by far. If I told you all the stuff I've caught here this year, you would think I was telling fish stories.

futuramille 12-14-2009 01:16 AM

My best trout days are on Shell creek in the big horns, Wyoming. Its on the way from Greybull to Sheridan, not easy to get to and envolves climbing. I never go down into the canyon for just a day but always spend the night to make the trek worth it. The river drops elevation fast creating a string of 30 +/- foot wide/long pools, a serious length of rough pocket water about midway streaches 100' or so otherwise its pools and small falls for two miles. the pools are deep and trees overhang but not so low as to be in the way of roll casts. when a band of sunlight gets to the water, you can see trout swimming though it consistantly at all levels of the water column. No one fishes this, at least not often. Its 20 miles from the big horn river, 70 miles from Cody...simply too many big name fishing destinations for most people to stop.

Its similar all over the big horn range's several creeks and lakes. You can fish and hike for days and not see another human. I've fished places I believe hadn't been fished in years if ever, at least there was no sign...no trails, no trash, nothing but years of undisterbed cycles of nature.

I've got another class reunion in June and I'm truly torn between going on up to fort smith, Montana (bighorn river lodge) and float the upper bighorn ($$$) or stay with old friends in Greybull and fish from there (practically free). I'll have 4 days...problem is no one I still know there fish's anymore let alone flyfish and I'm pretty sure I'd best not go it alone.

Anyone care to join me? If so, we can stay here http://www.kedesh.com/

MTskibum 12-14-2009 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by futuramille (Post 74949)
My best trout days are on Shell creek in the big horns, Wyoming. Its on the way from Greybull to Sheridan, not easy to get to and envolves climbing. I never go down into the canyon for just a day but always spend the night to make the trek worth it. ]

I wasnt going to post in this thread, however I am drunk and and i was surprised to see someone mention shell creek.

I have over 20 days on shell creek and have caught rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, brook trout, brown trout, whitefish, sauger, carp, and walleye.

In addition my only 100 fish day was on shell creek. If you go between shell reservoir and shell lake you can catch fish every cast, although a big fish in this stretch is 8" and produces 4"-5" fish on average. I am not hotspotting. This place needs more fisherman. Anywhere above the falls you can expect to catch lots of small fish. If the fish saw more pressure perhaps there would not be as many small fish, instead there would be more larger fish.

The lower stretch has less, bigger fish, although it is all private land.

Futurmille, are you from greybull? I have lived there for a bit, and my dad is currently working at one of the bentonite mines.

:edit: stay at trapper lodge if you can afford it, i have never fished the kedesh section of shell creek, however my sisters wedding was held on Flitner's property at trappers lodge, the one time i was able to fish trapper creek. I have never caught so many 15+" fish out of a stream that was 10fps on a good day. It is expensive though.