The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 09:53 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Leader for swinging steelhead flys?

I would like to try swinging for steel but am unsure what leader to use. Ill be using an 8 weight rod...what leader should i use...tapered 3x?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:44 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leader for swinging steelhead flys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Hodge View Post
I would like to try swinging for steel but am unsure what leader to use. Ill be using an 8 weight rod...what leader should i use...tapered 3x?
It depends.

If I am using a floating line or an intermediate line, I will go with a nine foot tapered leader rated to eight to ten pound test.

If I am using a sink tip line, I will use about three to four feet of eight to ten pound test tippet material tied to my one foot butt section. This keeps the fly at the same depth as the tip of the fly line instead of having it flutter around inconsistently.

If you prefer tapered leaders, you can find some that are tapered down into four to six foot lengths. Your other is to tie your own.

MP
Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Ill be using floating line. I like tapered leaders for the simplicity of it...buy em and go!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

MP
Can you describe what your butt sections are made of. I have only used WFF line but have been wanting to try a sink tip.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
MP
Can you describe what your butt sections are made of. I have only used WFF line but have been wanting to try a sink tip.
Hi Tracker,
Before the advent of the welded loop on fly lines, a level piece of heavy monofilament was tied to the end of the fly line. This is called the butt section. From there, a tapered leader was either looped or tied directly to it. The butt section is made of 25, 30, or 40 pound monofilament.

Most floating lines come with a welded loop, but most sinking and sink tip lines do not come with one because the coatings prevent them from being welded.

MP
Old 01-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Cool Hand,

In Alaska with a sink tip I used the Climax 4' tapered leaders. I would buy them in 1X and 0X. I could make the 1X into a 3X or the OX into a 2X by adding a short tippet. It worked well for me. The picture shows a 9' Trout leader but they are available in 4' and longer Salmon tapered leaders.

If I wanted to stay close to the 4' length I would cut part of the leader tippet and then add my short tippet to the shorten leader. You have to have a gauge to measure where the leader tippet starts. When I cut it off I leave enough of the original tippet to tie to.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:52 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

MP
Thanks for the info. I have never fished with a sink line so did not realize it did not come with a welded loop. A friend of mine actually never uses the welded loop in the WFF line perferring to cut it off and use a 12" section of Red Amnesia with a loop on the end. I have to say is works as a nice indicator. I have considered doing the same.