The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 10:19 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your winter fly box

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Winter is Steelhead time for me...
On the egg flies a pale blue is one of my top producers.
Dan
HRD

I wonder why pale blue is so hot, I have heard the white, yellow, pink and chartruesse work for steelies had not heard much about pale blue eggs though. Did you just try it and it worked or is this a known steelie color and Im just not in the loop?

d
Old 12-19-2009, 06:16 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about

I got some photo's...... Joni just got to load them and put them on here! Super busy!
Lambster

Last edited by Lambster; 12-19-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I just added a dozen nymphs to my winter box, got the flies from the nymph swap and just gotta get on the water tomorrow if I can....

d
Old 12-20-2009, 11:30 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
HRD

I wonder why pale blue is so hot, I have heard the white, yellow, pink and chartruesse work for steelies had not heard much about pale blue eggs though. Did you just try it and it worked or is this a known steelie color and Im just not in the loop?

d
I had heard from people that blue was a good color at certain times...I tied some up with Glo Bugs Micro Yarn in Light Blue on a size 14 Eagle Claw Style 42 hook in a single egg. I tried them a couple of times in the early fall and didn't have any luck with them. We had a warm spell in late December and early January and I decided to do a day trip to Elk Creek in PA. The stream was low and clear, and I went to the pool I took my first ever fly rod Steelie from. A couple of fellows were fishing it so I sat down and watched them for awhile. One of the fellows asked why I wasn't fishing and I told him I didn't want to crowd them, I didn't refuse when he told me to jump in and fish. I tried a number of egg patterns along with my nymphs without any luck. I was looking through my flybox and saw my blue eggs and thought why not? The first drift through the slot saw my first Steelie of the New Year, on the blue egg. I landed the fish, and retied my rig. After a couple more drifts I had another fish on, again on the blue egg. A young guy was fishing below me and he had helped land a couple of my fish and had taken a picture for me; so I gave him a couple of the eggs. He tied one on and got a fish on his second or third drift, and got a couple more to boot. Since that day, I always have some blue eggs with me, for January and February they are the color I usually start with now.
I have read that blue is the last color in the spectrum that steelhead see in low light. Right now I am experimenting with some eggs tied with "Steelhead Blue" Ice Dub. When I get a chance I will post a pic in the fly tying forum.

Dan
Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some photos Lambster asked me to post, showing him at his fly tying desk and some of the stone flies and streamers he has success with in Georgia and fishing out west:

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.yukonforge.com/images/Lamb2a.jpg

Old 12-21-2009, 09:21 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

A picture instead of 1000 words.
My winter fly box. The blue ones are Poison Tungs.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Yat,

That is a nice bunch of little guys. My winter fishing is sparse, it depends on having a couple warm days and you gotta get out before things start to melt. If there is melt then it is not good. There are usually a few chances each winter to fish.

My winter box looks like my summer box, streamers and salmon / steelhead flies. I use the more sparsely dressed ties in winter. Usually something dark but if that fails I will go to an attractor. Whatever you use, you have to find a fish and then put the fly right on it.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my winter fly box:

Larry
Old 12-21-2009, 04:49 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Larry,
There's still some space in the lower right hand corner. Ha!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Larry,
There's still some space in the lower right hand corner. Ha!!!
Yat: Dang, how did I miss that space! LOL!

Larry