The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   What's in your winter fly box (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/12005-whats-your-winter-fly-box.html)

webrx 12-16-2009 09:51 PM

What's in your winter fly box

I was going to go through my fly boxes and set up a winter box since the season is now upon us here in the eastern part of the Sierras

I was loading my box with:
Wooly Buggers (black, rootbear, olive, tan)
Sculpin and Wooly Sculpins
PTNs
Copper Johns
Pink and Chartruesse Scuds
Midges (black, red, zebra, green)
Griffith Gnats
EHCs
Adams

I usually travel light in the winter, one box, a lanyard with tools, layered clothing, gloves and waders. I can drive to the river in 30 minutes, and usually fish for a couple hours between 10 and 2 when the air temp starts warming up.

Was curious what others take to the river with them during the winter.

Dave

fish_gypsy 12-16-2009 10:25 PM

Re: What's in your winter fly box

I'm actually tying right now-

Sculpin patterns (Olive, Gray)
Scuds (Gray, Tan, Olive, Pinkish-Cream)
Caddis larvae (Cream, Olive/Green)
Midge Dries (Cream, Olive, Black, Gray)
Rubberleg Stoneflies (Black/Tan varegaited, Black, Brown)
Mohair Leeches (Black, Olive, Ginger)
Griffith's Gnats
Small pheasant tail nymphs

That really about covers it for me from now until the end of February or so, when the caddis hatches start back up and things really begin to get interesting :)

quackhead35 12-16-2009 10:37 PM

Now this being my first Trout season that i've fly fished for I carry a little more than I should.

In my main box:
Zebra midges in about 9 colors
JUJUBEE midges in about 4 colors
gold-ribbed hare's ear with my twist to them
wolly buggers in about 4 colors and 4 sizes
griffith's gnats
cracklebacks

In my other box is the ones I have either just tied up or ones I want to try out which are:
mircale nymph
blue midge
deep blue poison
alexandra
grizzyly king
bwo's
Brassies w/ my twist to them
Doc brat's
parchute adams

I have a few others that i am going to try and tie up before my next trip this weekend like the superman, green arrow, batman and robin.

I also carry a few eggs and nuclear eggs just in case but they are last ditch effort if nothing else works. Oh and 2 different types of mice that are kept in the truck just in case.

Bad thing is that the closest waters is about an hour and half away so I tend to overpack which is a good thing i guess.

Jimmie 12-16-2009 10:43 PM

If you take out the Sculpins and Scuds my tie list is identical to yours webrx. I've also tied up a dozen Wulffs (Grizzly & Ausable) which is an add-on to your list. Tied some Adams tonight. All of them parachute type. My boxes are getting full.
I probably won't fish until spring.

Joni 12-16-2009 11:16 PM

Micro's Allot of 26's and smaller. still have the muddlers and such and a bunch of #16/#18 scuds and BWO's.

#18's Copper Johns, PT, Haresears, Prince

Bigfly 12-16-2009 11:53 PM

A small addition, (no pun) is size 22-24 little winter stones, or rolled wings. (6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.) A little black dub for the body, and some of the thinest white sheet packing for electronics as a wing. Good dry, and a good dropper. They get sucked under pretty easily. If you fish in snow, it is worth a try. Scan the snow bank to see if they are out and about. Ralf Cutter believes they overnight in the snow for warmth. Brrrrrr.....

MoscaPescador 12-17-2009 12:37 AM

Winter Tailwater Box - Size range from 16 to 24.
  • Baetis nymphs and dries
  • Midge nymphs and dries
  • Winter stonefly dries
  • Winter caddis dries

Winter Lower Yuba/Lower American/Lower Feather Box - Wild Rainbow Trout and Steelhead Tailwater
  • Jimmy Legs stonefly nymphs
  • Skwala stonefly nymphs and dries
  • Baetis nymphs and dries
  • Caddis nymphs and dries
  • March Brown mayfly nymphs and dries
  • Sculpins
  • Buggers
  • Traditional Steelhead patterns
  • Bunny Leeches
  • Egg Patterns

Guest1 12-17-2009 02:03 AM

For starts, a 10" Jiffy Ice Auger. It ....uh....flies through ice. We won't have open water here for many moons.

crittergetter 12-17-2009 02:42 AM

Everything that was in my Summer Fanny Pack and what fell into the pockets because I have yet to figure out how to organize anything for one season let alone two. :icon_bigg

Critter

webrx 12-17-2009 08:47 AM

OH, GRHEs and PTNs, how could I forget those? I have to look up the superhero flies Quackhead mentioned (Funny, we call our dalmation Crackhead cause he is spastic, you guys related ;) - no offense meant),

I was also going to add some Girdle Bugs to my box, and now that I have read through these posts maybe a small stonefly or two.

Good lists everyone!

Dave