The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 PM

goofnoff2 will become famous soon enough
Default Some nymph fishing things

In the throes of terminal cabin fever I've been reading 20 year old fy fishing magazines and all my old books. Found something I hadn't noticed before
in the old books.

In Nymph Fish for Larger Trout Charles Brooks says that his least used method for nymphing is the straight upstream cast. Meantime two others,Joe Humphrey and Tom Rosenbauer, (Rosenbauer by way of Carl Coleman) are both upstream afficiandos. How many of you guys fish the nymph with the straight upstream cast> Brooks, of course, fished the big rivers out west, where Rosenbauer and Humphrey fish smaller eastern streams in the main. The upstream cast is very effective if you are working up the bubble line in and Eastern stream. I alos noted that these guys regarded nymph fishing as 90% presentation as long as your nymph's size and diameter was close to the naturals found in the water type.

I've fished the Brooks method in deep boulder studded runs where I've found them in East and it is very effective. I've never seen anyone else do it in the many years I've fished. Probably would see it more if I haunted the steelhead streams of the Great Lakes. Brooks uses HI-D to get down. Joe H uses straight monofilament for a line. Rosenbauer says he draws the line at mono except for steelhead.

Also Brroks uses another method I've never see anyone do. ever. With a HI-D line and weighted leader he sinlks a nymph straight to the bottom. With the rod tipp against the stream bottom he hand twists the nymph across the rocks. Ever see anyone do that? You can also strop a streamer that way.

Tight lines
Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 PM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some nymph fishing things

check out Aaron Jasper's European Nymphing Techniques DVD, he goes into this in depth.

Its a matter of personal preference, access, and water depth for me.

I vary between direct upstream, or up and across. I think upstream is one of the most effective ways to catch trout on a nymph.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:32 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

I prefer quarter and swing with a lift then a couple hand turn retreaves....let it sit...look around....i like positioning myself in the river to present my nymph this way.

But lately I've found value in short lining around me including wading slowly up stream and short lining seams and rifles with up stream flop casts.

After paying so much attention to being sneaky and low in my approach, it was shocking how productive this is....almost standing on top of the fish...crazy.

Deep fast water takes a three quarter up steam cast to get the fly down in the area I'm targeting down and across from me.

Straight up steam, long casts are hard for me, take to much delicate but fast striping to maintain contact that its more work than I prefer. Not to say that if I see a fish up stream I'm not going to fish to it in what ever way it takes ( ;
Old 03-30-2011, 07:39 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Back 20 plus years ago Rosenbauer wrote an article for Fly Fisherman about Carl Coleman and the Coleman march brown nymph that for what ever reason really hooked me.
I tied up some of the nymphs and practiced the up-stream technique.
It worked and I was able, probably for the first time, to catch fish on the straight up-stream presentation (we're talking no indicator here guys). I met Tom soon after that and we spoke about my success, further reinforcing my thoughts on the fly and method.

I'm a hi-stick guy most of the time, but that one magazine article taught me a lot about presentation and fly design that I haven't forgotten.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Back 20 plus years ago Rosenbauer wrote an article for Fly Fisherman about Carl Coleman and the Coleman march brown nymph that for what ever reason really hooked me.
I tied up some of the nymphs and practiced the up-stream technique.
It worked and I was able, probably for the first time, to catch fish on the straight up-stream presentation (we're talking no indicator here guys). I met Tom soon after that and we spoke about my success, further reinforcing my thoughts on the fly and method.

I'm a hi-stick guy most of the time, but that one magazine article taught me a lot about presentation and fly design that I haven't forgotten.
It think half the fly fishermen in NA read that article, seriously. I know Tom was amazed by the feedback he received. Tom also covered the upstream technique in Prospecting for Trout.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

On very small streams, you're often limited to only using the upstream method, except on a few large pools. I imagine that it depends on the fish and what they're feeding on. In his introductory chapters, Brooks tells of the need to determine what the fish are feeding on and match the behavior of the naturals. So it is different from stream to stream and even hole to hole sometimes.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond rush View Post
On very small streams, you're often limited to only using the upstream method, except on a few large pools. I imagine that it depends on the fish and what they're feeding on. In his introductory chapters, Brooks tells of the need to determine what the fish are feeding on and match the behavior of the naturals. So it is different from stream to stream and even hole to hole sometimes.

Brooks talks a lot about matching the 'hatch'. However the book is mainly about presentation. Rosenbauer and Humphrey are deeply into presentation.
If you look at all three they seem to use about a dozen patterns each for all their nymphing. (skiinny mayflies, fat mayflies, stoneflies, caddis pupa and larvae, midges

You're right about the small stream thing and upstream casting.