The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Metal or Plastic Fly Boxes?

I've flyfished alot and used several fly boxes and GeorgiaFlyGuide likes those plastic low gloss boxes that float and don't reflect like the metal ones...... plus they float which is good unless you get in fast water............. we use the olive color boxes or gray.... which boxes do you use? Lambster
Old 12-22-2009, 09:37 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Metal or Plastic Fly Boxes?

I have used several different boxes and yet to find "the perfect box". Lately I have been using one of the Orvis boxes that float but am not a big fan of it. I picked up one of Fishpond boxes the other day. I like the look of it but have yet to have it on the water so time will tell.
Tuck
Old 12-22-2009, 09:46 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I recently bought a couple SA System X boxes that float and are two sided. I have been using an old crystal river double sided box. Both of these fit in the chest pockets of my vest or wading jacket pocket and are about the size of my hand. In the winter, I usually just take one box with a variety of flies (mostly nymphs and buggers, but a few dries thrown in just in case there is a hatch).

I like the waterproof boxes because in the summer I can put them in the side pockets and they wont get wet while wading, and I usually put my dries in the CR in my vest pocket and my nymphs and such in my SA boxes.

d
Old 12-22-2009, 10:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I own mostly plastic, but I have one metal box which has all my classical Steelhead flies. For whatever reason, it just seems wrong to put Steelhead flies in plastic.

I too like the waterproof boxes for the reason that I could stash them in the cargo pockets of my shorts while I wet wade.

MP
Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Alloy boxes and leather wallets. All I fish anymore are wet flies, I have an old 32 compartment alloy dry fly box and a small plastic I got from the Orvis Company when I fished dries. The little one was handy for traveling light.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-23-2009, 12:17 AM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

All I have is plastic right now. Just picked a small C&F box that will hold a ton of nymphs. It's not waterproof, but that's okay. I just care that my wooly bugger and streamer boxes are waterproof when they are in my cargo shorts wet wading in the summer.

Sometime soon I'll pick up Wheatley box or two. They just seem like such nice boxes.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:46 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I have and use mostly plastic. I picked up a couple of C&F type waterproof boxes recently and have loaded my winter flies into them...

Dan
Old 12-23-2009, 09:27 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I go light, so I have plastic boxes.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:41 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I have a lot of all kinds and use all for different stuations.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Plastic...metal...no... wood
I've bought this Irideus box on ebay,very light yet strong and holds nymphs and dries without damaging hacklesmoreover the seller,losososfish is a nice guy

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
sorry for the mess in this box....many nymphs have already fished a lot