The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 AM

ssmith will become famous soon enough
Default stubborn steelies...

So I found a stream that has difficult steelies in gin clear shallow water. Basically has almost no moving water. They refused to touch anything I had but I got to thinking everything I have is natural. So I tied this fly tonight for Monday morning but before I spend a lot of time making them I'd like some opinions on the pattern
Click the image to open in full size.
sorry the picture isn't great but it's a bead phessant tail with a bright red thorax instead of peacock, 14 nymph hook...
my archnemesis teasing me in the most unlikely river you can think of. I was thinking of running it as a dropper behind an egg sucking leach, high sticking wear I can. They haven't been super fearful of me so far but maybe that's why they're not striking, opinions please and thanks

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-31-2011, 07:49 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: stubborn steelies...

Nice looking fly, you might consider tying some with chartreuse for the thorax also, and think about going down to sz 16.

Here's a pattern that might work for you...

Fish him from an upstream position and let the fly hang just upstream of the Steelie...

Good Luck,

Dan
Old 03-31-2011, 09:18 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I don't want to seem high and mighty by posting this openly but with conditions like your photo I would move to better water. When its low like that and slow to no movement there's very little oxygen, bad for the fish. If you have sections with a deeper riffle or deeper broken water try there. If you were to harvest them, different story. Another reason why that fish won't bite, its on the redd best to leave it be and find a better spot.

Last edited by wt bash; 03-31-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 AM

wt, I understand that and feel bad but I will be harvesting 2-3 fish while they are in there for the next few weeks. There is a family that likes to dam up part of the creek and spear the fish when they pile up. Without proof ILDNR can't/doesn't do anything about it. The creek gets good spring runs and great coho and steelhead runs in the fall. Any other river/creek it's catch and release, just not this one for me. I also never wade here as I don't have to and can fish from the bank as not to disturb the redds. I get your thoughts and appreciate the opinion though.

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 PM

joshuanoerr is on a distinguished road

What are they feeding on in your area right now?

I know I'm addicted
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Thats cool, like I said if you plan on bringing them to the table then atleast they're being utilized. I wonder though if this is the same stretch of water I saw a youtube video on? Cause what you described was what had been filmed (regarding the damming and spearing). When it is low and clear and they get stubborn a simple black woolly worm or a Black Palmered does the job especially if the stoneflies are around. Worked for me today!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:21 AM

Josh, stopped down there after work and watch 3 eating something off the top but I couldn't tell what it was. They also seemed to be fearful off a beaver that has turned up... I have no idea where this beaver came from by the way, but no lie it's a beaver. I have NEVER seen a beaver in Illinois, much less in a ravine next to a bar I like to frequent. I'll see if I can get a picture of him.

bt, I bounced a black, purple, olive, flashy, dull, and combinations of the three colours of woolies off some of their noses. Not even so much as a second look. However I did get looks and interest in a Muddler I picked up at a garage sale. I just tied some hood rigged ESL's of black with a chartreuse egg at the head that I hope may work. It's tough because I have given up commercially tied flies totally and would only like to fish my own from here out.

Any other patterns that may **** them off, I have zonkers, woolies, esl's, white/chartreuse shinner imitations, poppers, and some spey esk streamers that are in red, black and yellow from the same garage sale.

I don't don't know if the creek is the same one but I will google it just to see. I also plan to fill ILDNR in when I see the bottles they dam it with.

thanks again everyone

Old 04-01-2011, 06:29 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Maybe if you see your beaver friend at the bar, you can ask him what their eating.

This is what I used to catch my steelie on. I'ts gaudy as heck, but they were hitting it pretty good. I hear blue is a good color too.

FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog