The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 11:57 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Sad times

Christmas is supposed to be a happy time of year. My day was going great, we opened presents and played with the kids. The kids got lots of stuff from Santa and were eager to play with their toys. As the day went on we settled down and had Christmas dinner. Once the kids were in bed we sat down and decompressed for a while.

I was sitting on the couch watching TV when the call came. I heard my wife answer the phone and say “hold on I will get him.” On the other end was my cousin, he informed me that our grandmother had just passed away. He said that he was on his way to go say his goodbyes before they took her. I said that I would meet him there.

I was very close with my grandmother and this has been pretty hard for me, the next day was pretty much a blur. My wife said to me why don’t you get out and go fish and clear your head. I said that I did not feel like going but I might go on Sunday if I can find someone to go with me. I did end up finding someone that could go so I headed out the following morning.

The day was cold and the air was crisp. There was snow all over the place, it was kind of neat seeing the bald eagles and wild turkeys as well. I stopped to take a picture of an eagle that was very close in a tree. However by the time I got the camera out and turned on he had flown away.

Click the image to open in full size.

It was not long after we made it to the first spot of the day. We got out, got our gear set up and hit the water. On my first cast I got a hit, I set the hook and it was fish on. As the fish got closer I noticed that it was not a trout. Yes my first fish of the day was a whitefish.

I caught quite a few whitefish during the course of the early morning. Just when I was beginning to think that we should mover I got another hit. This time the fight was quite different than I had been experiencing with the whitefish. As the fish got closer my suspensions were confirmed. It was the first rainbow of the day. I landed the fish and sent him on his way.

After that Jeremy suggested that we check out some other runs. We got back in the car and went to our next spot. This spot was not productive for either of us so after a while we decided to move again. We decided to go check out the first run again.

We got back to the run and resumed fishing. I quickly hooked another fish, however it was another whitefish. I decided to take a pic of this one just for the heck of it. I noticed that the whitefish were keying in on a particular fly so I decided to remove that fly. This turned out to be a good decision.

During that time until we decided to leave I only caught bows. Overall it was a pretty good trip, I was able to get out and get my head clear and the fishing was not that bad either. Here are some more photos, hope you enjoy.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Sad times

A little piece of yourself in every one of these posts, I am saddened to hear of your loss but happy to see that you had a wonderful day one the water.

I'll leave this thought for you my long distance friend,

We are but the stones that lie upon the bottom of the stream with life washing over us as it flows towards its inevitable destination.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Sad news indeed Sasha,deeply sorry for you.Fishing is for sure one of the best ways to relieve pain and sorrow.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:37 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Sasha,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother, but I'm sure that you have some wonderful memories of her to help get you through the tough times and that she'll always be a part of your life going forward.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very nice pics of the fish and great close-up shots of the markings.

Fishing is, I think, one of the best ways to deal with bad news; or at least to let it set in at a pace that allows you to cope with it in a reasonable manner. I've found that fishing well requires just enough concentration to rid your mind of thoughts that have been plaguing you up to that point. It's not sedative in the least, but it gives you a holiday away from your concerns. And when you stop fishing, although the difficult issue is still there, it's now moderated by the positive memories of an enjoyable day fishing.

There's an old saying that only time heals sorrow. For me it's certainly the case, but if I fill my time with positive things; like a good day's fishing, then it passes more quickly and I get back into full swing sooner.

Today might be another good day to go fishing.

Pocono
Old 12-28-2009, 06:03 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Sasha my heart goes out to all who have felt the loss of your Grandmother. It would seem to me that if you were close then she has indeed imparted some of herself to you. I believe that those who affect us in such a way, live on in ourselves and our children. Going fishing was perhaps the best thing you could have done, water is a healing substance and the rivers and lakes that carry it, are places of healing for our souls and our physical selves. She was with you that day, so go and rejoice in her life by continuing to be the person you seem to be. Take care.......Kerry
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:31 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear this Sasha, I lost my mom just before thanksgiving and the holidays have been a bit of a bummer this year for me as well. I can only believe that she is in a better place now, as with your grandmother. We don't know why and will probably not ever understand God's will, but I believe he has one for each of us. May God bless you and your family during these trying and difficult times.

Dave
Old 12-28-2009, 08:00 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Sasha, Sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts...Grandmother will be with you always...

Dan
Old 12-28-2009, 08:24 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Sasha
So sorry to hear of your lose. May you find peace in the memories of your Grandmother for many years.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

My condolences for your loss.

I'm glad to see that our sport's therapeutic effects shined through in dark times once again.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sasha: Sorry to hear that your grandmother has passed. My prayers are with you and your family. Thanks for sharing your fishing trip, getting on the water seems to have healing powers.

When I have caught white fish in the past they always seem to do a tap-tap-tap on the end of the line, that is the main way I know I have a white fish on immediately have the hit, just wondering if the white fish in your area fight like that.

Larry