The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 09:08 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Knot a problem

Thanks Frank,

I'd never have thought going out the other side would have made any difference in the strength. I'll try that method.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

WJC

Uni to Uni to add tippet to leader worked like a champ, held up to an 18 incher and had no issues. I would much rather use set up this then a nail or blood knot, at least when I am trying to tie things together on the water.

d
Old 01-15-2010, 08:17 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

I agree works like a charm.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:48 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I use the polimar almost exclusive. I even use it to tie on my first doubles with the tag end being 14" to 18".

Thanks Frank for the illistration. I have had a polimar break and was confused how it could have broke. Now I seeeeeee....

I spent 2 years arguing with my wife on how the knot I learned from my dad at an early age was the only way and I could tie it blinfolded.. (ok maybe not) was the cinch...

She convinced me and my breakoffs have been eliminated using the polimar. The idea of your hook having two lines through it is good.

Now I suppose you can tie on a double cinch but that is difficult to manage.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:49 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Hi Frank,

I bumped this up because I was finishing off a bimini twist and I remembered this from the Albright discussion on how to lock the tag end of an Albright:

Quote:
He forms a small loop with the tag end and then wraps the tag around the main line inside of the loop he formed. Wrapping back towards the main Albright knot. Pulling the tag end to tighten the keeper knot back towards the Albright knot. The keeper knot will tighten up against the Albright knot. Trim the ends and you are good to go. This is how I have always tied it and don't ever remember it failing.
I realized that I start off the finish of the bimini exactly like that but add a different twist. A friend of mine who fishes a lot of Marlin off Equdor or Costa Rica or one of those places showed me how to do it. A deck hand down there showed him how to tie it, and would not let him use the ones he had done.

You do exactly as you described - form a "D" loop ( the straight part of the "D" being the standing line) and run the tag end inside the "D"around the standing line 4 or 5 turns or so back towards the Albright.

But rather than cinching it up, instead, you grab the new loop formed by the tag toward the end away from the Albright, and wrap it around the other direction, starting at the Albright end - kind of like doing a whip finish on a fly head without a whip finish tool. What you are doing is unwinding what you just did, but starting from the Albright end this time.

What you are left with is that the tag end is now INSIDE all the wraps PARALLEL with the standing line - with the end of the tag still going the same way, towards the Bimini (Albright).

To cinch it up, you have to have the standing line taunt and then keep teasing the wraps away from the tag end you are tugging on to tighten the knot, and then towards the tugging end as the loops get closer.

I started doing it this way for a couple of reasons. The most important is that it's almost impossible to burn the standing line. But also because all the wraps are around both the standing line, and the tag end , helping to cushion the standing line.

It is basically like a backwards nail knot and is the best way to finish off a bimini I've ever seen.

I rarely ever tie an Albright, but I'll do it that way if I ever tie another one. For Biminis , it's the cat's meow, and I expect it would be no different with an Albright.

Unfortunately, I've never seen this one published, named or videoed - but someone out there may have a name for it.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 01-24-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:21 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Frank had some great advice.

I will add this. If you are using streamers, use Lefty Kreh's Non-Slip Loop Knot. It is a 100% knot if tied properly. It works great with larger diameters of leader material. Also it adds a lot more movement to your fly.

MP
One of the guys from our FF Club showed me the non slip loop. Streamside I fumble a lot less than with the clinch knot. I've used it for all size flies and tippet. I don't know if that's right.
Thanks for the link MP.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi wjc,

I think I understand what you are telling me. I will try it and see how it works.

Here is a link to how to tie the Albright the way Lefty shows in his book. You have to scan down to see the Allbright and the finish.

Frank
Old 01-27-2010, 01:14 AM

Frank,

I looked at it and "step 4" in that illustration is what I was talking about. You leave it just like that, with the cut off tag sticking up in the illustration a bit longer. Now take the loop and wind it clockwise starting up close to the tag and wrap towards the back (away from the Albright) 6 turns.

The first knot will unwrap itself starting in the back and working toward the front, and re-wrap at the other end starting at the front and working towards the back. This leaves the line which started as the loop on the outside, now on the inside of all the wraps along with the standing line.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jim,

I will try that.

Frank
Old 02-08-2010, 04:38 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Last time I fished in Alaska for reds (Kenai River) I used straight 20# mono for tippet and tied flies on with a Trilene knot. I always cut off the fly and re-tied after hooking 5-6 fish whether they were landed or spit the hook, and never had a tippet-to-fly knot fail.