The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Trout Tactics - upstream or down?

Which approach do you use and why? Dry fly, bobber, streamer.
I'm curious if you pick one approach or the other for each, or use one all the time.
I'm not into a poll really, just philosophy behind your tactics.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 01-07-2010, 02:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trout Tactics - upstream or down?

If there's someone else on the water, I'll ask or watch to see which way they're going and then go the other way.
Other than that, unless I plan on swinging wet flies, I'll hike downstream then fish my way back
Old 01-07-2010, 03:42 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

Most times I fish downstream regardless, more out of habit than anything else. The rivers I fished most often seemed to always have better water downstream than up.

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

Mostly with me it depends on what river/stream I'm on....there is alot of "private" water in colorado, which dictates which way and how far you can travel....but on the gunnison river, I fish/hike upsrteam....and fish back also....I tend to fish alot of rabbit hair zonkers/buggers....but also nymph alot too.....right this next weekend I'll be fishing the colorado....upstream by glenwood springs.....midges, streamers, buggers, zonkers, eggs, and san juans
Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Depends on the circumstances; but most times I like to fish upstream...

Dan
Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

It depends on the time of year and water flows for me, usually I will fish upstream to start the day and then downstream on the way back to the car. Ideally, if I can find a way to cross the river (or can wade accross) I like to fish the opposite bank coming back down to the car. though there may be some areas of big rivers where you gotta go a long way to get accross and you don;t want to be stuck on the wrong side and not be able to get back to your car without having to take a long hike. Not that I have ever done anything like that

d
Old 01-08-2010, 12:19 PM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide

I usually am guiding out of my drift boat for dry fly fishing everything varies. If stoneflys are coming off the bank, I get my guys to cast downstream tight to the bank and mend upstream, then I control the presentation of the fly with my drift boat, try to control their drifts so they are drag free,
every situation is different, but usually we are fishing downstream 45 degrees right or left of the bow of the boat. If we are fishing streamers, I'll have my back angler cast to the bank and keep mending, trying to keep the fly swimming along the bank, sometimes even or maybee behind the boat a little
cy
Brooks Jessen/ classicjourneyoutfitters.com
Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I do both and use what I think is best in each spot. Example, I fished with indicator and bead head prince in the main flow of the river the other day, casting upstream and then letting drift downstream and when I found riffles I would swing a bugger going down stream and repeat.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:36 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

You guys made my point. More than one way to sneak up on a fish, or approach new terrain, and get along with others on the water. The upstream, overhead cast is a great tool but is not always the best approach. Lurking on the UK. site makes a person grateful
to live here. I can't imagine being limited (by rules) to fish just one way!

Bigfly
Old 01-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Bigfly,

You are so right about some of the restrictions overseas. In some spots you can't fish with out a caretaker who tells you where to fish and goes with you.

When I hit the water it has a lot to do with where I am at which direction I go. It doesn't make any difference if I go up stream or down stream. But, for each spot I fish I let the circumstances decide on an up stream, down stream or across stream presentation. There is no reason just because I am walking upstream that I can't fish a down stream presentation.

Frank