The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 01:19 PM

i_throw_bugs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Whats your go to fly?

Hard to choose, but probably BH Prince Nymph, although BHWB and Adams parachute are battling for a close 2nd.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by j43jacko View Post
What would be your guys' go to fly when fishing a new stream?
Wait wait wait... he said "FLY", that means only one. I haven't seen a "FLY" except for tyler185. All I have seen is "Fly's..." meaning more than one.

And on that note... Flashback Hairs ear and Red Zebra Midge. With a Brown Woollybugger hidden in my hat as a hat pin because he said "Fly" and three doesn't equal "a fly"

Seriously, if I need one and only one on any condition it would be a Woolly Worm. Big and small sizes. The big ones for stripping and small ones for nymphing or topwater.

If I recall there is a "one fly" tourniment in Toas held by Solitary Anglers. I talked to a guy that built a fly that would streamer fish. Make a clip or two then it was a wet fly. Fluff it up and use floatant for top water.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:00 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
Wait wait wait... he said "FLY", that means only one. I haven't seen a "FLY" except for tyler185. All I have seen is "Fly's..." meaning more than one.

And on that note... Flashback Hairs ear and Red Zebra Midge. With a Brown Woollybugger hidden in my hat as a hat pin because he said "Fly" and three doesn't equal "a fly"

Seriously, if I need one and only one on any condition it would be a Woolly Worm. Big and small sizes. The big ones for stripping and small ones for nymphing or topwater.

If I recall there is a "one fly" tourniment in Toas held by Solitary Anglers. I talked to a guy that built a fly that would streamer fish. Make a clip or two then it was a wet fly. Fluff it up and use floatant for top water.
Sorry, I never use just one fly
Old 04-04-2011, 06:49 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

Some interesting replies here. I'm glad you asked the question Jacko.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 AM

goofnoff2 will become famous soon enough

A wooly bugger................

Having said that, I could always find a more specific fly based on water type, time of year, time of day, and all the other variables.

Nice thing about the wooly is that there is no type of water where it cannot be fished effectively.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:08 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

For trout prospecting I like a flash back PT (depending on water clarity) under a elk wing caddis, or a streamer if theres alot of wood around. For steelhead lately I've been fishing a black palmered with a red tag. Although that will change with the flows we have now. When its stained and the flow is pushing I like a Dee fly tied with copper and gold rib, black wool body and mottled brown turkey wing. Next time out this will be my go to:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

With brand new water I would be fishing what the local fly shop or fish biologist suggested.

Then I would most likely be using a dry fly indicator and a nymph below that if we are talking Trout. The dry fly would most likely be a Royal Wulff or a Stimulator based on the time of the year.

Frank
Old 04-05-2011, 05:59 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

The Prince Nymph!!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Maybe I missed it; I am surprised nobody suggested pulling out the fine mesh aquarium net and seeing what’s in the water. Then you can match what you find to what’s in your box. Now if there is a hatch then you don't really "need" the net.....
Old 04-06-2011, 01:35 AM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
I am surprised nobody suggested pulling out the fine mesh aquarium net and seeing what’s in the water.
Good point, Sasha. Or you could pick up some rocks and see if there is a snake hiding there!.
How about climbing up a tree near the stream to see what bugs are on the branches?
If you see a hornets' nest then climb up the tree and shake it to see what size the hornets are? It could be a 10 or maybe a 8! It's always good to match the hatch.