The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 AM

goofnoff2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Whats your go to fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Everyone,

With brand new water I would be fishing what the local fly shop or fish biologist suggested.

Then I would most likely be using a dry fly indicator and a nymph below that if we are talking Trout. The dry fly would most likely be a Royal Wulff or a Stimulator based on the time of the year.

Frank
As I read the question it wasn't about considering variables. It was just picking a universal fly. Now if we want to talk all the variables, that is another whole discussion.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I guess it is about what you read. I don't see anything about an universal fly. I gave my go to flies. I think that is the question.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 04-09-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:20 AM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

Well it not mine, but if you want my opinion. Go with a woolly bugger. That thing catches everything.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
Wait wait wait... he said "FLY", that means only one. I haven't seen a "FLY" except for tyler185. All I have seen is "Fly's..." meaning more than one.

And on that note... Flashback Hairs ear and Red Zebra Midge. With a Brown Woollybugger hidden in my hat as a hat pin because he said "Fly" and three doesn't equal "a fly"

Seriously, if I need one and only one on any condition it would be a Woolly Worm. Big and small sizes. The big ones for stripping and small ones for nymphing or topwater.

If I recall there is a "one fly" tourniment in Toas held by Solitary Anglers. I talked to a guy that built a fly that would streamer fish. Make a clip or two then it was a wet fly. Fluff it up and use floatant for top water.

That's what he said. Fly being singular.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:16 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

goofnoff2, no disrespect and we're all glad you're here, but when you get up to over 5,000 posts on this board perhaps you can argue your point a little better... just sayin'. Nothing wrong with interpreting how we read the original post whether it be one or more flies. That's the beauty of the board, we all have opinions. While yours is just as important, this is nothing worthy of pushing back on.

Kelly.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:37 PM

hatchfast92 is on a distinguished road

I would have to say if there were only one fly for me to fish with it would be a possie bugger!! That little gem has kept me from being skunked numerious times and it always seems to find fish.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
goofnoff2, no disrespect and we're all glad you're here, but when you get up to over 5,000 posts on this board perhaps you can argue your point a little better... just sayin'. Nothing wrong with interpreting how we read the original post whether it be one or more flies. That's the beauty of the board, we all have opinions. While yours is just as important, this is nothing worthy of pushing back on.

Kelly.
I intended no disrespect to you. The original poster asked what I would consider to be a newbie question. We all know the stories about Bill Phillips only fishing the Ususal all season, or the guy who tied the Letort Beetle doing the same with that fly. Both claiming results comparable to trying to match the hatch.

I felt some people would explain why we carry so many patterns as opposed to one.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:11 PM

creekbum is on a distinguished road

Here's my four: size 16 copperbead grey muskrat nymph (this is my FAVORITE!), green/bluish sparkle bead head ugly bugger size 10-12, a size 16 PINK scud (A killer on Pa.'s Spring creek),and lastly, a size 14-18 deer hare caddis for april-may topside work!....then I fish about a dozen others, but that's for another thread!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:55 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Wow, fly, singular, I guess if I could only have one nymph, it would be a standard copper john, only one dry, it would be an elk hair caddis both in a size 16.

now, second choice - nymph would be a flashback PTN tied dark brown or black, and dry would be an adams.

d
Old 04-19-2011, 11:08 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Here in western Colorado, it would be a deer hair caddis for a dry and a Prince for the nymph. For tailwaters, I don't believe there is a go to fly! Those fish are just too specialized in their feeding behavior.