Whats your go to fly?

gadfly_nj

Reaction score
Well, that's a tough question. I'd pick a different go to fly for different streams. For a freestone stream, I'd say a yellow stimulator for a dry and a soft hackle hare's ear for a nymph. For a limestone stream, I'd go with parachute adams and zebra midge.

Davo

Reaction score
Gadfly is right, it would depend on the water. Though out here in the West I tend to prospect new river with a streamer until I see some hatches worth trying out.

poke em

Reaction score
I'm with Davo, but it has nothing to do with trying to catch big fish. Big fish eat small fish, small fish eat smaller fish. I tend to start with a small streamer on brand new water.

Pocono

Reaction score
For Trout; top water fishing - parachute Adams: #14-16. Underwater - red Copper John: #14

Add two more: top water - cream Elk Hair Caddis (gives me the dark fly/light fly option). Underwater - Stewart's Spider (IMO the "buggiest: wet of them all).

Add two more...................add two more............... ;)

Pocono

ant

Reaction score
Without any clues? An all black nymph that I tie up. Sometimes a woolly bugger.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I have a standard setup I use for most waters, and, since I mostly nymph fish it is a nymph rig under an indicator. Since we can use three flies in Idaho I'll usually set up with a heavy "Big Ugly" Rubberlegs stonefly nymph, trailed by either a bead-head flashback Pheasant-tail nymph or one of my KG's South Fork Special nymphs, or an Improved Shop Vac nymph, trailed then by some type of midge offering such as a KG's Deep Purple Peril midge, a Rainbow Warrior or small Zebra Midge.

Here are some pics:

"Big Ugly" Rubberlegs:

Bead-head Flashback Pheasant-tail:

KG's South Fork Special:

KG's 'Improved' Shop Vac (original Shop Vac fly by Craig Matthews):

KG's Deep Purple Peril midge:

Rainbow Warrior:

Can't say that I have a go-to 'fly', rather, a go-to setup of multiple flies whenever I fish unfamiliar water. Last year I fished the Big Horn River for the first time. As I was getting rigged up our host noticed what I was going to use and simply said "Won't work, no stoneflies in this river..." I was a bit surprised, but I paid attention and re-rigged my setup to what he suggested. My buddy who swears by the big rubberlegs nymphs refused to believe the fish wouldn't take his rubberlegs even in water without stoneflies and he went fishless for the day...

Kelly.

crittergetter

Reaction score
What would be your guys' go to fly when fishing a new stream?
Wait wait wait... he said "FLY", that means only one. I haven't seen a "FLY" except for tyler185. All I have seen is "Fly's..." meaning more than one.

And on that note... Flashback Hairs ear and Red Zebra Midge. With a Brown Woollybugger hidden in my hat as a hat pin because he said "Fly" and three doesn't equal "a fly" :biggrin:

Seriously, if I need one and only one on any condition it would be a Woolly Worm. Big and small sizes. The big ones for stripping and small ones for nymphing or topwater.

If I recall there is a "one fly" tourniment in Toas held by Solitary Anglers. I talked to a guy that built a fly that would streamer fish. Make a clip or two then it was a wet fly. Fluff it up and use floatant for top water.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Wait wait wait... he said "FLY", that means only one. I haven't seen a "FLY" except for tyler185. All I have seen is "Fly's..." meaning more than one.

And on that note... Flashback Hairs ear and Red Zebra Midge. With a Brown Woollybugger hidden in my hat as a hat pin because he said "Fly" and three doesn't equal "a fly" :biggrin:

Seriously, if I need one and only one on any condition it would be a Woolly Worm. Big and small sizes. The big ones for stripping and small ones for nymphing or topwater.

If I recall there is a "one fly" tourniment in Toas held by Solitary Anglers. I talked to a guy that built a fly that would streamer fish. Make a clip or two then it was a wet fly. Fluff it up and use floatant for top water.
Sorry, I never use just one fly

goofnoff2

Reaction score
A wooly bugger................

Having said that, I could always find a more specific fly based on water type, time of year, time of day, and all the other variables.

Nice thing about the wooly is that there is no type of water where it cannot be fished effectively.

wt bash

Reaction score
For trout prospecting I like a flash back PT (depending on water clarity) under a elk wing caddis, or a streamer if theres alot of wood around. For steelhead lately I've been fishing a black palmered with a red tag. Although that will change with the flows we have now. When its stained and the flow is pushing I like a Dee fly tied with copper and gold rib, black wool body and mottled brown turkey wing. Next time out this will be my go to:

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

With brand new water I would be fishing what the local fly shop or fish biologist suggested.

Then I would most likely be using a dry fly indicator and a nymph below that if we are talking Trout. The dry fly would most likely be a Royal Wulff or a Stimulator based on the time of the year.

Frank

Sasha

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it; I am surprised nobody suggested pulling out the fine mesh aquarium net and seeing what’s in the water. Then you can match what you find to what’s in your box. Now if there is a hatch then you don't really "need" the net.....

rickf

Reaction score
I am surprised nobody suggested pulling out the fine mesh aquarium net and seeing what’s in the water.
Good point, Sasha. Or you could pick up some rocks and see if there is a snake hiding there!.
How about climbing up a tree near the stream to see what bugs are on the branches?
If you see a hornets' nest then climb up the tree and shake it to see what size the hornets are? It could be a 10 or maybe a 8! It's always good to match the hatch.