The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 09:07 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats your go to fly?

Here you go, Casey; a Gray Ghost pattern, tied as per Carrie Stevens.

The wings on this fly are first glued together, tyed in one side at a time on the sides of the hook and "tented" together over the top. This is rough tye; for fishing only.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's one that I'm itching to try out this Fall on some LL Salmon. It's called the Chief Nedebah; developed by the Chief in the Rangeley Lakes region. Unlike Carrie's patterns, where the individual wings are glued and attached on the side of the hook, these wings are attached back-to-back as a pair on the top of the hook; Eastern Streamer style:

Carrie tried to get her wings low on the shank; she thought this was more in keeping with the bait fish that she was trying to imitate with her patterns. Eastern Streamers tyers don't think it matters and it certainly is easier and faster to tie in on the top of the hook.

Pocono
Old 09-02-2011, 09:18 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Pocono, that Chief Nedebah is a very visually stunning fly! If I was a fish, that thing would be hanging off my lip in no time. I feel like a fly like that would be murderous in the salt.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-02-2011, 09:29 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Here you go, Casey; a Gray Ghost pattern, tied as per Carrie Stevens.

The wings on this fly are first glued together, tyed in one side at a time on the sides of the hook and "tented" together over the top. This is rough tye; for fishing only.

Here's one that I'm itching to try out this Fall on some LL Salmon. It's called the Chief Nedebah; developed by the Chief in the Rangeley Lakes region. Unlike Carrie's patterns, where the individual wings are glued and attached on the side of the hook, these wings are attached back-to-back as a pair on the top of the hook; Eastern Streamer style:

Carrie tried to get her wings low on the shank; she thought this was more in keeping with the bait fish that she was trying to imitate with her patterns. Eastern Streamers tyers don't think it matters and it certainly is easier and faster to tie in on the top of the hook.

Pocono

thanks pocono,
that gray ghost is beautiful! by far the best i've seen.
the nedebah is quite a looker as well!
nice work.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-21-2011, 06:48 PM

njdevs is on a distinguished road

That's easy. The Prince Nymph.....or any variation of.... roughly the size of whatever will come off that day.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:27 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road

Typically mine is a BH Prince or a grey scud. If fishing dry, I confess to using deer hair pellets because the stockers at the trout parks in Missouri suck them down.

If going for other than trout, it's a bugger. Hands down. Typically black, but sometimes chartreuse for the clouded waters.