The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 10:57 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What flies to use this time of year

A personal favorite of mine.....gurdle bug/ ( female dog) creek....and a small flashback
Old 02-06-2010, 01:06 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Ditto's with what FlyGypsy says

I have rairly had luck with Hoppers, Beatles, Ants... down at Bennet or Meramac.

Everything, Gypsy says is what I use. Also a bugger is my first go to stripping fly I will tie on everywhere, In and Out of the park in the winter.

Don't foget parks are closed the 8th.

Weavers is close all winter. Larry's is open.

CritterGetter
Old 02-06-2010, 01:19 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

im heading down to Readings today after i get off work at 1 to get my new rod reel combo and lines...i heard Larrys wasnt open till March 1st? i was down there last weekend and he was closed i think.....i didnt stop in but im gonna try and get the new rod wet today after i pick it up if i have time
Old 02-06-2010, 02:55 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I think fish_gypsy's list is a pretty good one with the addition of wooly buggers for stripping as suggested by several other member posts. I prefer olive and brown wooly buggers for most stripping.

Correction to crittergetter's post - the park is open on Monday the 8th - this is the last day of the Winter Catch and Release season. The park is then closed to all fishing until opening day of the regular trout season on March 1st.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytyer_neal View Post
A personal favorite of mine.....gurdle bug/ ( female dog) creek....and a small flashback
Neal: I also like that combo on the Colorado.

Larry
Old 02-06-2010, 09:06 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
I think fish_gypsy's list is a pretty good one with the addition of wooly buggers for stripping as suggested by several other member posts. I prefer olive and brown wooly buggers for most stripping.

Correction to crittergetter's post - the park is open on Monday the 8th - this is the last day of the Winter Catch and Release season. The park is then closed to all fishing until opening day of the regular trout season on March 1st.
My BAD... I couldn't fish on Monday so put it in my mind it was closed.

Also, Don't forget you can fish outside the parks. BarClay Access down the road at Bennett is great. They stock browns down there end of Dec. Meramac below the park last year stunk. But from the Cable to the Piles is fun as well as the cardiac hill access just below the piles.