The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   What flies to use this time of year (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/12343-what-flies-use-time-year.html)

luked 01-19-2010 02:50 PM

What flies to use this time of year

this might be a pretty open question but im hopeing to head out this weekend to try my hand at trying to learn how to do this again.....so what kind of flies should i be using this time of year when its cold......ill be fishing for Trout in a coldwater spring/river.....it is bennet springs MO...i saw the thread here that has been goin but not really nothing pertaining to what to use this time of year....im gonna try and see if i can call some of the fly shops down in that area to ask them to see but was wondering what all some of you would suggest

MoscaPescador 01-19-2010 03:02 PM

Re: What flies to use this time of year

You are best calling the fly shops in that region.

MP

Kerry Pitt 01-19-2010 05:32 PM

I agree, there should be a flyshop with an online hatch chart.
That being said, the basic Pheasant tail nymphs, Hares Ear etc. would probably be on the menu.:)

arfishinbear 01-19-2010 07:12 PM

Glow balls/ egg patterns have done well for me all times of the year there, midges and small pheasenttail's also will do well right now and the good 'ol wooly bugger
Bear

dmwphoto 01-19-2010 07:45 PM

wooly bugger would be my go to but I wuld sure check the local shops

flyfishnflowers 01-19-2010 10:35 PM

Like we were talking about in the other thread, and as I am sure they will tell you when you call them, they still feed the trout in the stream with beetles, so I would head to the stream with at least a dozen black foam beetles. I tie in a yellow foam dot at the top to make it easy to see the fly on the water. It is a spring so the water temperature doesn't change much, so the trout's behavior should remain about the same year round. Good luck and have fun getting back into the sport! Fill us in on how you do when you get back!

arfishinbear 01-19-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyfishnflowers (Post 79049)
Like we were talking about in the other thread, and as I am sure they will tell you when you call them, they still feed the trout in the stream with beetles, so I would head to the stream with at least a dozen black foam beetles. I tie in a yellow foam dot at the top to make it easy to see the fly on the water. It is a spring so the water temperature doesn't change much, so the trout's behavior should remain about the same year round. Good luck and have fun getting back into the sport! Fill us in on how you do when you get back!

Feed the trout with beettles, when did they start that? I have fished that river all my life and never heard that. Not saying your wrong at all, just wondering when that started that.
Bear
P.S. Another standard local fly is just some lead wire wraped around a nymph hook then painted white.

blackbear 01-19-2010 10:51 PM

In winter I throw buggers pretty much exclusively. I will throw a black stone nymph or san jaun in certain streams locally also. I find that if I keep my patterns to a minimum in really cold water condition I tend to catch more fish.

Brewmaster 02-06-2010 03:28 AM

I believe flyfishnflowers is wrong! I have fished Bennett Spring for many years and I can tell you that they do NOT feed the trout with beetles. They use commercial pellet trout food in the hatchery and once the trout are stocked into the Spring stream or the Niangua river they do not feed the fish at all.

Make sure you check the regulations, during the winter catch and release season the entire stream is limited to flies only, and not everything sold as a fly is legal for fishing there. For example, no soft plastics allowed, so if you use foam beetles there, make sure they do not have any rubber legs, that will make them illegal.

Best bet is to check with Readings Fly Shop or with Weaver Tackle, both within a mile of the entrance to the State Park. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

By the way - the Missouri State Park winter trout catch and release season ends next Monday 2/8/10. Opening day of the regular trout season is 3/1/10.

fish_gypsy 02-06-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luked (Post 78995)
this might be a pretty open question but im hopeing to head out this weekend to try my hand at trying to learn how to do this again.....so what kind of flies should i be using this time of year when its cold......ill be fishing for Trout in a coldwater spring/river.....it is bennet springs MO...i saw the thread here that has been goin but not really nothing pertaining to what to use this time of year....im gonna try and see if i can call some of the fly shops down in that area to ask them to see but was wondering what all some of you would suggest

Not sure if you've already gone, but-

Mohair Leeches- Ginger, Olive, and brown, sizes 8-10
San Juan Worms- Red, Tan
Eggs/glo-ball patterns
Copper Johns- Copper, Chartreuse, Red
Pheasant Tail Nymphs
Scuds in Olive, Gray, and Pink
Griffith's Gnat
Midge dries- Cream, dun, and black

That should set you up pretty well for this time of year