The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 02:50 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default What flies to use this time of year

this might be a pretty open question but im hopeing to head out this weekend to try my hand at trying to learn how to do this again.....so what kind of flies should i be using this time of year when its cold......ill be fishing for Trout in a coldwater spring/river.....it is bennet springs MO...i saw the thread here that has been goin but not really nothing pertaining to what to use this time of year....im gonna try and see if i can call some of the fly shops down in that area to ask them to see but was wondering what all some of you would suggest
Old 01-19-2010, 03:02 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What flies to use this time of year

You are best calling the fly shops in that region.

MP
Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I agree, there should be a flyshop with an online hatch chart.
That being said, the basic Pheasant tail nymphs, Hares Ear etc. would probably be on the menu.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:12 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Glow balls/ egg patterns have done well for me all times of the year there, midges and small pheasenttail's also will do well right now and the good 'ol wooly bugger
Bear
Old 01-19-2010, 07:45 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

wooly bugger would be my go to but I wuld sure check the local shops

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 PM

flyfishnflowers is on a distinguished road

Like we were talking about in the other thread, and as I am sure they will tell you when you call them, they still feed the trout in the stream with beetles, so I would head to the stream with at least a dozen black foam beetles. I tie in a yellow foam dot at the top to make it easy to see the fly on the water. It is a spring so the water temperature doesn't change much, so the trout's behavior should remain about the same year round. Good luck and have fun getting back into the sport! Fill us in on how you do when you get back!
Old 01-19-2010, 10:45 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnflowers View Post
Like we were talking about in the other thread, and as I am sure they will tell you when you call them, they still feed the trout in the stream with beetles, so I would head to the stream with at least a dozen black foam beetles. I tie in a yellow foam dot at the top to make it easy to see the fly on the water. It is a spring so the water temperature doesn't change much, so the trout's behavior should remain about the same year round. Good luck and have fun getting back into the sport! Fill us in on how you do when you get back!
Feed the trout with beettles, when did they start that? I have fished that river all my life and never heard that. Not saying your wrong at all, just wondering when that started that.
Bear
P.S. Another standard local fly is just some lead wire wraped around a nymph hook then painted white.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:51 PM

blackbear will become famous soon enough

In winter I throw buggers pretty much exclusively. I will throw a black stone nymph or san jaun in certain streams locally also. I find that if I keep my patterns to a minimum in really cold water condition I tend to catch more fish.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:28 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I believe flyfishnflowers is wrong! I have fished Bennett Spring for many years and I can tell you that they do NOT feed the trout with beetles. They use commercial pellet trout food in the hatchery and once the trout are stocked into the Spring stream or the Niangua river they do not feed the fish at all.

Make sure you check the regulations, during the winter catch and release season the entire stream is limited to flies only, and not everything sold as a fly is legal for fishing there. For example, no soft plastics allowed, so if you use foam beetles there, make sure they do not have any rubber legs, that will make them illegal.

Best bet is to check with Readings Fly Shop or with Weaver Tackle, both within a mile of the entrance to the State Park. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

By the way - the Missouri State Park winter trout catch and release season ends next Monday 2/8/10. Opening day of the regular trout season is 3/1/10.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:32 AM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
this might be a pretty open question but im hopeing to head out this weekend to try my hand at trying to learn how to do this again.....so what kind of flies should i be using this time of year when its cold......ill be fishing for Trout in a coldwater spring/river.....it is bennet springs MO...i saw the thread here that has been goin but not really nothing pertaining to what to use this time of year....im gonna try and see if i can call some of the fly shops down in that area to ask them to see but was wondering what all some of you would suggest

Not sure if you've already gone, but-

Mohair Leeches- Ginger, Olive, and brown, sizes 8-10
San Juan Worms- Red, Tan
Eggs/glo-ball patterns
Copper Johns- Copper, Chartreuse, Red
Pheasant Tail Nymphs
Scuds in Olive, Gray, and Pink
Griffith's Gnat
Midge dries- Cream, dun, and black

That should set you up pretty well for this time of year

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com