The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Default What clothing is best to keep you warm?

So many products out their we Anglers use to keep warm when we are fly fishing in the winter months...... which products keep you the warmest? Wool....cotton....or maybe fleece or polartec or a combination of differn't products.... watcha think? Now I have problems keeping my feet warm when I'm wading? or when my hands get cold..... I hate to get cold!

Lambster
Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What clothing is best to keep you warm?

Okay, I have lately been fishing some BODATIOUSLY cold weather/water.
But, I have been very comfortable.

First key, make sure you can wiggle your toes, and HEAD GEAR.

I admit, I am a walking Orvis billboard, but it is great stuff.
I start of with either the Heavy (which feels like fleece) or the Medium weight 100% Polyester (Orvis answer to Body Armor)
I top that with Fleece bibs or pants. I take a pair of Polyester fishing slacks to wear over on the to and from, but they come off and the waders go on.
I wear a fleece pull over, and a light jacket (wind stopper)
I prefer the Heavy Orvis wading socks because they are made for wading boots. Thinner at the ankles and support around the arch.

Expensive gear for sure, but it is going on 8 years and it still looks like new, so I think of it as an investment.
Oh and I have a killer Orvis down filled shirt.
AND, all made in the USA, except my Rivendell waders and my Simms boots.

There is killer Simms clothing on Deals On The Fly
Old 01-21-2010, 09:05 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have been fishing the river and do each year. Last year I had the same problem with my feet and hands getting cold. This year I have made a few changes.
I wear a thin polyester long john, then cover that with fleece then my waders. on the top it is similar. Poly long john shirt, then a long sleeve tee, then a wool sweater covered with my wading jacket. For toes, I have tried a bunch of different combos, but have settled on smartwool underliners (board recommendation) then merino wool socks this seems to do the trick. Hands - simple wool fingerless gloves work best for me. For my head, I wear a balaclava and a wool cap.

Like joni said, you gotta make sure you can move your toes in your wading boots (I bought a pair one size too big this year) and you gotta keep your head and hands warm. my waders have a built in fleece lined hand warmer pocket and that helps.

d
Old 01-22-2010, 01:58 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I have a new technique to keep my feet warm. I get one of those pocket hand warmers pouches, shake it up and throw it in my waders. I then put my wading belt on to seal the heat in. One layer of fleece and that's all I need on cold days.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:25 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Okay, I have lately been fishing some BODATIOUSLY cold weather/water.
But, I have been very comfortable.
here we go again.....

But ya know what? She is right!

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:27 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I like heat gear for a base layer, moister wicking and very comfy.
Fleece wadeing pants and a good WOOL sock. Like Joni said make sure you can wiggle your toes, if the socks\boots are to tight they will restrict blood flow wich will lead to cold feet in a hurry.
I have a couple wool sweeters with three buttons on the chest that are great.The three buttons allow me to un do them and let a little air in when I get a little to warm, with out takeing the sweater off wicj may make it to cold.
For jackets enough can not be said about WIND shear, Simms makes some great windshear jackets in water proof and fleece.
Simms also make some great wind shear half finger golves.
A good hat is always a MUST have in my eyes, unless its really cold a good 'ol ball cap or weastern style hat will keep heat from comeing out of the top of you head and help with the sun, if its really cold a fleece beanie or a wool stocking cap work good.
Bear
Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

One thing I was taught early in life about cold weather wear; Cotton Kills...

I start with a layer that wicks moisture away from the body, feet bottom and top...Depending on the weather I will add or remove the following:

Cool, I will wear fleece wading pants over my starting layer, light fleece zip top. The zip top really helps keep you warm if you zip it up like a turtle neck..

Cold, medium weight polypro, followed by the fleece layer; light fleece vest over the other layers.

Real cold, military weight polypro, followed by the fleece wading pants, wool sweater, preferably one with button system to control temps. I will wear a windstopper type vest. If it is real windy I will put a pair of nylon running pants over the fleece bottoms, sounds funny but it really helps.

Feet wise, I always wear a wicking sock under my wool socks, SmartWool is selling a set now that includes a liner and over sock. I always wear a Gore-Tex wading jacket whenever I'm fishing, unless it's very warm.

Always have a wool "Radar" cap and fingerless wool or polypro gloves.

My wading boots are 2 sizes larger then my usual street shoe size...

This system has worked for me...

Dan
Old 01-22-2010, 10:20 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Haven't done any cold water fishing (winter), but I will be soon.

I'll probably gear out close to cold weather deer hunting:

-Thick athletic socks with wool socks over them
-Base layer is the adidas version of Underarmor (cold weather version)
-long sleeve t-shirt
-Fleece Sweatshirt
-Loose fitting thermal underware or fleece pants
-Depending on where I'm going, hip waders or my chest waders
-If it might be wet (rain, snow), my Orvis waterproof jacket. Otherwise, a good windbreaker
-Kenai Glacer Gloves
-Reversable fleece/knit headgear
-Fleece gator

OH, and lots of water...
Old 01-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Lots of good information so I will try to cover some general ideas.

1. The first and most important rule is never wear cotton socks or cotton clothing next to your skin. It will get damp from perspiration and you will be cold.

2. Boots must have room for you to wiggle your toes with your heavy socks on.

3. Ear Warmers that are worn around the head are very good to keep your ears warm.

4. A fleece clava is a very good investment to keep the head, neck and face warm.

5. Down makes wonderful jackets, pants and coats. For fishing a synthetic material is a better choice. If down gets wet it will clump up and lose its insulation value.

6. Clothing should be loose fitting and not binding.

7. You need a wind blocking layer to protect your insulating layers. Wind Stopper garments make excellent final layers on the outside.

8. Pay special attention to your hands, feet and head. They act like radiators and if they get cold it is hard to keep warm over all. If your core/body gets cold it will retract blood from the extremities to keep the body warm.

9. Always dress in layers and make sure you don't get over heated. If you have to hike or walk any distance, remove some of your clothing. Uncovering your head and face will cool you quickly.

As I have aged my feet have become harder and harder to keep warm. I learned in Alaska that silk liner socks are very good under wool socks. Liner socks have to fit well and be tall so they don't fall down under your wool sock. The warmest socks I have ever had were woven from wool and silk. I bought two pair from Abe's one year and have never seen them again any
where. They worked way better than socks woven from just wool.

The best gloves I have used around water were skin diver glovers. They worked great if you don't remove them.

Frank
Old 01-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambster View Post
So many products out their we Anglers use to keep warm when we are fly fishing in the winter months...... which products keep you the warmest? Wool....cotton....or maybe fleece or polartec or a combination of differn't products.... watcha think? Now I have problems keeping my feet warm when I'm wading? or when my hands get cold..... I hate to get cold!

Lambster
Lambster: What are you talking about, COLD!, we all know it doesn't get cold in Georgia! Quit whinning and go back to work! LOL!
I know Joni and Dan know what real cold is but Lambster, I'm not so sure, you need to come out here in the winter!
Sorry I couldn't help myself!

Larry