The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 03:33 AM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice
Default A lively Atlantic salmon on the Royal Dee, Scotland

What a wonderful salmon river the Dee is for fly fishing. This video was taken on the Lummels pool one of the finest pools on the river. This fish was spectacular! Bill had joined me for a couple of days and of course showed us how it should be done!

What sport!

Colin.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:03 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A lively Atlantic salmon on the Royal Dee, Scotland

great video, thanks

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Colin

Thanks for posting, that was great. It looked like Bill was using a Sprey rod, any idea what size?

Larry
Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Administrator

cb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nicecb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
It looked like Bill was using a Sprey rod, any idea what size?
Certainly do - it was my outfit he was using. The rod is a 15ft 1in Sage #10 (10151-4 European). Hardy Ultralite reel holding a Trevor Morgan floating Spey line #11 with 51ft head. 10ft fast-sinking polyleader with 4-5ft 13lb Fluoro tippet (Frog hair) with size 12 Cascade Double fly.

15ft #10 rods are the standard outfits in the UK for salmon on the classic largish rivers like the Dee/Spey/Tay/Tweed.

My current favourite rod is the Hardy Demon #10, though I have had many happy days with my Sage rod in the past.

Regards

Colin
Old 01-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Colin, I can't believe you are picking on those poor fish with that great big rod. I could have used that outfit on the Kenai in Alaska.

Frank
Old 01-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Colin, I can't believe you are picking on those poor fish with that great big rod
Frank, The last two fish I’ve had from the lummels pool were 17lb and 16lb I needed the rod! My arm was aching by the end!

Pics and story here:

Dee Diaries: Saturday 18th July, 2009 - Fly Fishing Forums
Old 01-23-2010, 06:16 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Great trip, thanks for shareing
Bear
Old 01-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I started spey casting just this last spring. I love it. I have a 15' 8/9 wt. Meiser with a 9/10 Airflo Delta Spey line that has a 56 1/2' head. You can whip a pretty good fish into submission with these kind of rods. Here is a video of doing just that.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:46 PM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Re: A lively Atlantic salmon on the Royal Dee, Scotland

Wow these are some cool videos!

Big fish too. Congrats.

Moe