The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 03:55 PM

sir castalot is on a distinguished road
Default Any recommendations for non felt boots?

I have to get new boots since Vermont outlawed felt soles. Anybody have something they like? What about the Korkers with changeable soles?

I've been using Simms Freestones and like them. I could go Simms again but am open to something new.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:15 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any recommendations for non felt boots?

I have heard good things about the korkers and the simms rubber soled boots. I have the Chota Rock Locs and am very dissatisfied with them. They grip very poorly even with studs and the rubber is deteriorating after one season.

Welcome to the forum! Lots of nice folks and good information on here.

Tim
Old 04-08-2011, 04:22 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I have both.

I have the Simms G4 boots, and the older style Korkers.

I've been on streams where the G4's seemed like I was wearing skates. Since then I bought a pack of the carbide studs, that I will screw in, next time I go to a known slippery stream. They are very comfortable boots.

The nice thing about the Korkers.. you can swap out the rubber and use rubber with carbide. Boots are comfortable enough. I'll take these down to NZ next time, so I only have to bring one pair,

I think next time - I'd try the BOA laces they both offer in some of their boots.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I recently purchased a pair of Orvis River Guard. I have been extremely happy with them and would not wear felt again if I could. They are comfortable and the grip is outstanding. Pricey but what isn't these days. Some people comment that the are big for the stated size but I did not find that to be true for me.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I'm still wearing felt here in California, but a popular blog Auther of a blog called the Trout Underground did a test of several Major brands the ones I can remember of the top of my head are Simms, Orvis , and Korkers and he found that in the freestone streams of Northern California the Orvis River Guard boots provided the best traction and stability. You can find the Trout Underground at Trout Underground - Fly Fishing's Fun, Independent Voice.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:03 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I have a pair of Simms Freestones with the Vibram soles. I put the Simms star cleats in for a recent trip to the San Juan, which is infested with Didymo. The cleats performed great on that slippery skid stuff.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I have LL Bean Emergers and have tried LL Bean Grey Ghosts. Both of them have very good traction, better even than the felt-soled boots I had before. I opted for LL Beans as they come in widths, which was important to me.

I have heard that Korkers are excellent boots, and if I ever wear out the boots I have now, I'll probably check them out.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-09-2011, 08:19 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I am a fan of Korkers. Both my wife and I love them. I will switch from the hiking rubber sole to studded felt. I bought the shoe for a bit less weight. Not as much ankle support either

The old Korkers rubber sole is not so good in mossy streams. I don't know about any of their new soles. I can tell you, it is handy to bring hiking soles with you and switch on stream.

I am very worried when I can't wear felt in Missouri. I figure in a couple of years I am either moving on to the Simms if Korker soles haven't' changed to a better less slick rubber.

Good luck...

PS.. My snide answer was move to somewhere you can use felt...
Old 04-10-2011, 09:14 AM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

wow Vermont now too..Crazy
I feel for you and the amount of money you now have to dish out to comply with a poorly interpreted report..
I'm surprised at the ease with which these bans are becoming effective.
Isn't there a voice of reason in any state legislature?
For crying out loud. All boots are made of absorbent material.You ever notice how there wet when you take them off? Thats a dead give away.
The uppers are usually some type of Canvas hybrid while the lowers are leather or of the same upper material..lets not forget the shoe strings on all boots( except Korker which by the way would be my suggestion to you) are made of cloth or leather..I'm going to break the law if it ever comes to Colorado..
They can have my felt soles when the can Pry them off my cold crusty feet when I'm Dead..LOL or if I get caught..LOL
Old 04-10-2011, 09:35 AM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

I've been very impressed with my Korkers thus far. I purchased them in early May 2010 and have about 80 days on the water in them. The soles are lugged up pretty well without feeling too heavy. A majority of my fishing is boulder scrambling and they are tacky enough to prevent slipping.

The walk real well for those times when half the session is the journey. And, they don't leave you feeling fatigued. At this point, I've not tried the felt as I have been perfectly happy with the lugged insert. Switching out is really ingenious. It takes all of about a minute a boot.

Good luck.