The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default LMF One-Flyers?

Howdy all!,
Just wanted to find out who all is going to fish the First Annual Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation One Fly Tourney.

Here's the info for those not aware: http://www.dallas-flyfishers.org/Mis.../LMFOneFly.htm

Wanted to see who thinks they have figured out the magical fly that will win it too! (except they're wrong, I've already tied it)

I've also done some research on the secrets to success in a one-fly tourney and will be happy to pass most of them along.

We would appreciate it if anyone who has fished a one fly and has advice would contribute that as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Cliff:

I may or may not be there. If I am I'll find you. Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think that its the 2nd Annual Lower Mountain Fork River Foundation One Fly Tourney.

Steve

Old 02-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Could be, not sure. I'll be the big guy who is younger than you might think and will pull up in what is likely the only foreign sport coupe in that parking lot. sure hope its not muddy.

I'd tell you what I'll be wearing, but not sure of the day's temperature just yet. I intend to employ quite a few tactics I've learned from Davy. Can't wait, wish it was a shorter drive.

Old 02-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

just checked the weather forecast for Broken Bow on saturday, looks like it couldn't be more perfect. 60 degrees, sunny, 0% rain chance, and 5mph wind. I'm not gonna know how to cast with that little wind!

here's the page: http://www.weather.com/activities/ot...9&dayNum=2

Old 02-27-2005, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Weather was great, finished fourth. If I had landed the two that threw the fly in a leap, it wouldn't even have been close. One of them was about four pounds, that still kills me!

The best thing I have to report from the event is the success of the "Bounce Nymphing" technique and its perfect match to a one-fly competition. It was perfect in two ways: It was a perfect match for the fly I was using, and it helped me keep it.

Match to the Fly: I was fishing an unweighted soft hackle tied with the peacock color prism dubbing with a copper rib. I chose this fly because I didn't want to be stuck with a beadhead nymph when the fish were rising like crazy. It turned out that the trout were indeed feeding on the bottom, so I just ran some shot below my fly to keep it near the bottom. Had I needed to get deeper still, I could have added more weight to that dropper section. Had I needed an emerger, one snip and I would have been back to an unweighted soft hackle.

Helped me keep it: Not wanting to run any risk of losing my precious fly, I had the thing tied on with 8lb flourocarbon. However, for my dropper which held the weight, I used 6x. This gave me the ability to pull most of my rig off when the shot got hung up, and still keep my fly. The 3lb 6x whould breakoff when I needed my fly back.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

BigCliff:

Welcome back. I'm happy to here that you had some success. Sorry the big one got away.

I think the details are on this forum somewhere but can you give the folks the details of you rigging? Did you tie the dropper tippet on the eye or hook bend of your nymph? How long was your dropper tippet? etc...

Thanks,
Steve

Old 02-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

The idea behind it is basically that you have your weight down lower than your fly(s). The droppers are tied on with double surgeon knots, with the end towards the end of the system left long. The fly(s) are then tied on to that (those) ends. The rig is similar to the newly popular technique used by bass fisherman known as drop-shotting.

You could tie the droppers onto the bend of the hook, but this will inhibit movement of the fly(s). The fly(s) should also be unweighted, which will help them move more underwater.