The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1wt rod, am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colotrout View Post
I typically fish with two sets of 3wt rods: A very nice semi-fast action 8'6" 5X Elkhorn and a 7'6" 3wt A3 Scott.

Last weekend, I caught a couple of 14" trouts and loved how these guys loaded my Elkhorn.

My conclusion: I want to get a 1wt rod! Am I crazy?

I am aware that overworking a fish is bad and frankly, I probably would save the 1wt for small creeks (e.g., Roaring River here in CO).

Input is appreciated!

You are not crazy. The lighter lined rods can be extremely fun. There are a lot of misconceptions out there and plenty of people that will give you a hard time about fishing one. The bottom line is that those rods are not for everyone, some enjoy them some do not.

Contrary to what someone said I do also fish heavier rods. Yes the majority of my fishing is done on lighter gear. However I really do not enjoy throwing a weighted triple nymph rig on my 0wt all of the time. I see that someone else also gave out the link to the ultralight fly fishing forum. I would hop on over there as well. There is also a pretty good discussion about the rods here Does anyone use ultralight fly tackle?

As far as the phart comment….. well that is not really an accurate statement but YMMV. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:35 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I got a couple 2 wt rods to use on small creeks for brookies. I've also used them for some bigger trout and the bluegills in my pond. I've used a 4 wt for the same things as well. I didn't feel the 2 wt was alot different. The 2 wt rods are 6' & 7' long. The 4 wt is 8'. All three rods are med/med fast. I feel on the creeks I got the 2 wt rods for a 7' rod is about ideal. The 8' rod is better than the 6' rod, IMO. My bottom line, I like the 2 wt rods but don't really see the need given how well the 8' 4 wt worked on the same creeks. The only thing is the 7' rod was more manageable on creeks with lots of stream-side brush. So, to me the biggest difference was length.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Traded for an Orvis 1wt, 7 1/2ft Superfine. Sweeet feeling rod,,,and I know I'm gonna have a blast on panfish.

Trout rod ? umm,,,if I knew I'd not hook anything bigger than 12 inches ,,yes. But backbone is not there for it to handle anything much larger. It is indeed a 'special situation' rod. Distance doesn't matter much to me,,,I stalk fish..that's as much a part of why I fish as using a rod at all.

Lots of fun in special situations.

Mike
Old 03-27-2014, 03:27 AM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by colotrout View Post
I typically fish with two sets of 3wt rods: A very nice semi-fast action 8'6" 5X Elkhorn and a 7'6" 3wt A3 Scott.

Last weekend, I caught a couple of 14" trouts and loved how these guys loaded my Elkhorn.

My conclusion: I want to get a 1wt rod! Am I crazy?

I am aware that overworking a fish is bad and frankly, I probably would save the 1wt for small creeks (e.g., Roaring River here in CO).

Input is appreciated!
I use a Elkhorn Traveler II 7.5' 2 wt. on a tail water where 0 and 000 are common. The only limitations are in my presentation and selection of the fly (usually a 22 to 32). The rod does it's job fine with a long leader 7-8X.

If you have your heart set on a 1 wt. or less. I highly recommend a custom built Sage TXL-F by Dan Trela Custom Rods. He specializes in these rods and fishes them even on his trips to Montana. PM me if you need the contact info. and you will not beat his price or quality.

2 wt. is as low as I go , I cant deal with the wind , but those guys do it and do it well !

Good Luck

BTW, one of those furled leaders from Cut throat make a world of difference with that little Elkhorn and getting those long fine leaders to roll out if you go with a 2 wt. . I would think any small light rod with long leaders would benefit.

Last edited by eastfly66; 03-27-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:52 AM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post

BTW, one of those furled leaders from Cut throat make a world of difference with that little Elkhorn and getting those long fine leaders to roll out if you go with a 2 wt. . I would think any small light rod with long leaders would benefit.
X2 on the furled leader making a BIG difference. I fish a Zen furled on my Echo Carbon 2wt with Orvis Superfine 2wt line. On the small creeks this combo rocks, and unless the wind really kicks up, at these close ranges it's no big deal at all.

Go for it, ultralight opens up some additional fun opportunities.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Go for it!!

I have a few 2 and 3wts, i'd really like to pickup or a build a 00 or something nuts like that.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-27-2014, 07:04 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

If your catching 10 to 14" rainbows with regularity, then I would totally say you're crazy! If you are nailing the little 6" wilds out in the tiny mountain streams like the ones in the sierra's, then get it!!

I caught a 14" stocker on a very fast Batson RX7 2wt and struggled to empose any sort of control on that fish. A 1wt...lol...yeah that would have taken forever
Old 03-27-2014, 07:20 AM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
If your catching 10 to 14" rainbows with regularity, then I would totally say you're crazy! If you are nailing the little 6" wilds out in the tiny mountain streams like the ones in the sierra's, then get it!!

I caught a 14" stocker on a very fast Batson RX7 2wt and struggled to empose any sort of control on that fish. A 1wt...lol...yeah that would have taken forever
I think I am going to respectfully disagree with you Brookfield. I will agree the play is a bit longer but I would attribute that to a 7x tippet more than a 2wt. The tailwater I fish this on and the 0 wt. gang is on a 12 to 14 bow is standard and 16-17" is not uncommon. Did you mean RX8 on the Batson ? I am thinking of building a RX7 2 wt. having just done a 4 & 5 wt. The 8' is better than the 8'6" in 4 wt. (tip is too soft @ 8'6") IMO
The TXLF is a mod/fast but I still don't know how they do it at "000" !
Old 03-27-2014, 08:13 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Nope. It was a 7. IF662-4

I was also fishing streamers that day with an RX7 4wt as well. The 2wt had 5x tippet and the 4 had 3x. The ability to turn a decent fish was very limited with the 2. Maybe I like getting them in a little bit quicker than I really need so the battle seemed a bit longer than I would have liked.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:07 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Nope. It was a 7. IF662-4

I was also fishing streamers that day with an RX7 4wt as well. The 2wt had 5x tippet and the 4 had 3x. The ability to turn a decent fish was very limited with the 2. Maybe I like getting them in a little bit quicker than I really need so the battle seemed a bit longer than I would have liked.
I fished a Elkhorn Traveler 1wt for a few years and my wife bought me a TXL-f 1wt. I only use them in high mt streams on bluebird days. In my own personal experience I've landed a 13" trout in fast waters no problem and then the bottom pic is a 18" rainbow I landed on a 1wt with no problem.

Not saying a 1wt is something you want to target area known for bigger fish with, but it can certainly handle fish that are good sized fish.

Please forgive the fish on the rocks photo, I was not aware of the harm it causes and don't do it anymore

This guy was caught in fast deeper water.

Click the image to open in full size.

A 14" caught on 1wt

The big one on a 1wt
rangerrich99 likes this.