The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1wt rod, am I crazy?

Nice.

like I said, I have a preference for getting fish in fast. It could also be that I was used to nailing fish the same size with the 4 that the 2 felt comparatively weak from what I was feeling just 5 minutes earlier.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:41 AM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

I should add that tail water I am talking about the flow is only 48 cfs ...
So you are talking a different story if you had current to deal with too Brookfield ......

Thinking about it I don't see what difference it makes a 2 or a 4 if you got 15' of leader out (in my case anyway )?
If the rods are both mid to full flex wouldn't it be the same ?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:43 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Definitely. Average flow on the waters I was fishing are pushing 125-150
Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I love my 1wt but using it is the exception, not the rule.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:06 AM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I love my 1wt but using it is the exception, not the rule.
I second that , I only use the 2 on that river and 1 other in mid summer only. Other than that it is my 4 wt. (A new one too ! T&T )

I love a new toy ! I was looking at Elkhorn for a 4 but the deal on the T&T was too good and they are my home boys. Brian sells a nice rod !
Old 03-27-2014, 10:16 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
My 2 weight is collecting dust, it's just too limiting. It took a while for me to realize the limitations of real light lined fly rods but, as mojo said, any wind is a problem. I find that throwing any kind of meat, lead or indicators with them is just too much of a challenge and no joy at all.
Since rod manufacturers seem to create marketing crazes and the last big one was too-lightweight rods, I waited patiently for them to get back to building short rods with some muscle to them. The wait is over, I built my own... a 6', 5 weight for tossing junk and throwing tight loops in rhodo infested jungles.
Now if only the weather would cooperate and let me use the danged thing!
+1
I fish a 6'6" older superfine 2wt and it's dries or dry/dropper almost exclusively. A verrrry small indicator occasionally in slightly deeper water...but if there's a need to go deeper or add any weight another rod is called for. Horses for courses.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:40 AM

rockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the roughrockthief is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: 1wt rod, am I crazy?

One of the best casts I ever made was with my Sage SLT 8'1" 1 weight rod. It was into the wind and I said "wow" out loud. Admittedly it was a perfect cast, but into that wind made it impressive. I fish the 1 weight frequently. It has backbone to take on larger fish but I use it mostly for trout and panfish. Some people call these ultralight rods toys, but they are fine fishing rods and have their place. I'd enjoy getting another 1 weight just to compare. This rod is on my never sell list and it stays there. I love the thing. I don't baby it with a fish on - I just haul the fish in like I would with a 3 or a 5 weight.

Paul
Old 03-27-2014, 10:36 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

I miss my 1wt Superfine. I sold it to a friend on that UL fly site.

Sasha used to post here all the time? He got kicked off because he said a curse word? Come on, mods? Was that really the best thing to do?

Spring is finally here, I hope the pix and reports will pick up?

I wish that Sasha would apologize and come back and post again.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:01 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

The start of this post is much older and the link to ultralightflyfishing.com won't work. So if you are looking at ultralight and want the current forum link it is: http://ultralightflyfishing.com/forum/
Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I miss my 1wt Superfine. I sold it to a friend on that UL fly site.

Sasha used to post here all the time? He got kicked off because he said a curse word? Come on, mods? Was that really the best thing to do?

Spring is finally here, I hope the pix and reports will pick up?

I wish that Sasha would apologize and come back and post again.
No one gets kicked off of here for saying a curse word. I guarantee you that he had every opportunity to remain on the board.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Use whatever gear trips your trigger! Have fun.

Click the image to open in full size.