The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 10:42 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1wt rod, am I crazy?

I Started this trip at the Rio Grande in CO with my 8'6" 4wt Redington CT, but just for kicks tried my 1wt TFO Finesse and loved it. I used it on this section of water for at least a few hours every day for the next 4 days (switched back to my 4wt on some bigger pieces we fished).

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:29 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road

3 years ago, at the Denver Fly Fishing show, I went in deadset on picking-up a 3wt for fishing RMNP. In talking with several folks that fish RMNP quite a bit, many swore on using the TXL 000 as the "most fun" park rod. This was just as TXL-F came out and TXLs were being unloaded at good prices.

I went with their recommendation and am extremely glad I did. I use the TXL 000 on the many park small streams, typically July-Sep when dries and terrertrials are the norm. Typically 1 fly, but occasionally with a dropper. I've had 3 seasons of fun on this rod and am glad I bought it for the type of fishing I do. I'm there once per week.

The one place I do not use it is high alpine lakes. Rarely a calm day on those lakes and as stated earlier, wind kills these rods (at least in my hands). The major drawback for me then, is carrying 2 rods for every trip the park. So, it costs me some weight, but worth the trade-off for me. I carry a 4 or 5 wt for those situations.

-Paul
Old 04-08-2014, 04:38 PM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice

Where do I vote?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:01 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough

I currently have a 4wt for my all purpose fly fishing rod. I was thinking that a tankara rod would be nice and effective alternative for catching smaller trout along with other species.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:26 AM

zeus87 is on a distinguished road

Having three 1wt rods and three 2wt rods in my arsenal, with my 7'6 superfine 1wt being my "go to rod" here in upstate, NY I would say you are far from crazy. Gin clear water with picky native fish call for tiny flies and 7-8x tippet. You aren't going to get a fish to hand any faster fishing a 4-5wt rod while fishing such fine tippet. You will on the other hand ensure that fish will swim off without a hook left in its mouth thanks to such a light rod protecting the tippet. If you are planning on purchasing a UL rod to have a better fight, I might suggest you reserve it for panfish and other abundant species. Don't be fooled though, I can't speak for all of the manufactures that make 2wt and under rods, but I can assure you that orvis, sage and reddington all my UL rods that have the backbone to turn fish around that many of you would not think is possible.

Also, my approach with UL rods are to equip them with quality disc drag reels. If the circumstances call for desperate measures, pointing the rod at the fish and letting the drag do the work will often turn a fish around and get them out of strength multiplying waters.

Do yourself a favor, snag a reddington 2wt classic trout or tempt (same blank) and give it a go, I promise you it will be worth a smile.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 AM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

The wife using her Ebay account just purchased for me an Orvis Trident TL 8'-4" 2wt. I was wanting (in fact offered for sale on this forum), I think mostly in that I had begun to look seriously at a brand new 1wt. My hedging on the 2wt. was that I already have an Orvis 3wt.. The thinking being to skip a size so 1,3,5,7,9,11.

That said, I think her plan may fail. Currently owning a (now) 2, 3, 5x2, 8wt. rods, I'm thinking I might as well get a 1wt.....Naturally that will mean if I have a 1,2,3,5,8, I'll also need a 4,6,7,9,10,11.

Why I have no idea....

B.E.F.
pszy22 likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:38 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

For the past 15 years or so, I've fished a 1 wt 95% of the time that I was using a reeled rod. I fish primarily for trout in the 10" - 17" range, in large Michigan rivers. I've never felt like I was under gunned.

The one thing I will add, I fish dry/damp flies almost exclusively. I'm not sure the 1 wt would do a great job fishing subsurface. I don't know for sure cause I never fish that way.

It's great for the fishing I like to do. I fish close in, it allows me to make a delicate and precise presentation. I think it really excels when it comes time to make a hook set. It does so positively, but gently. I don't end up jerking the fly out of the fishes mouth.

I play fish aggressively, and are able to land them (or lose them) just as quickly as when using a 5 or 6 weight rod.

THe one potentially limiting factor is it is tough to fish into a head wind. I fish large rivers, so I can just about always find a stretch to fish with the wind not blowing directly into my face. As a matter of fact, some of my best days have been during a strong wind. One can use the wind to skitter the fly in a very convincing manner, this is a very effective presentation if caddis flies are present.
grtlksmarlin likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-13-2014, 04:32 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

Nice shot Mudbug! A 1wt. rod would be perfect for fishing small brookies during my Montana trip this year!
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:41 AM

toxicfly will become famous soon enough

There are some small creeks around me that are no wider than 10' I had a nice 1 piece 1wt 4'6". I broke the tip off while backpacking and miss it for the small creeks. It cast like **** but was needed for small creeks lined with trees

Jason