The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 11:03 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about
Default Outing

Hi Fellows,
Well, I feel at peace in this blistery evening here in North Colorado.

Got out today in cold miserable weather and went fishing. The roads were not too bad this morning but weather deteriorated quickly and the drive home was a bit dicey!

I went back to a spot I discovered 2 weeks ago on the Poudre and this time, took along some snow shoes, which proved pretty much essential today.

Upon arriving at my spot, I quickly got dressed and equipped myself with the rented snow shoes. Although the river is only 20-30 yards from the roadside, the snow is so deep that getting there is actually quite challenging!

I quickly move upstream to my favorite hole and proceeded to cast a brassie with a dark disco midge as #2. I unsuccessfully casted about 6 times before messing with weight and depth. Finally, I caught a nice 10 in brown with the brassie and had another hit with the same brassie but that was it for the day.

All in all a great day but I am beat tonight!

Here are some pictures I hope you enjoy:

The North American Fly Fishing Forum - colotrout's Album: 2-20-10
Old 02-20-2010, 11:21 PM

montuckylucky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Outing

Sounds just like my day good stuff
Old 02-21-2010, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice pics and report...never fished in such weather...must be an experience
Old 02-21-2010, 08:30 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Poudre's looking good. Nice color on that healthy brown too. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting the fishing report, I can see why the snowshoes were necesarry. Very nice color on the brown! Congrats! Here in Laramie it snowed off and on all day yesterday.

Larry
Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi colotrout,

Thanks for sharing your photos. A nice day on the water.

Frank
Old 02-21-2010, 08:41 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

colotrout, nice pics. Which A3 rod is that. I have a 6 wt & my son uses an 8 wt for steelhead. We love these rods.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:20 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post
colotrout, nice pics. Which A3 rod is that. I have a 6 wt & my son uses an 8 wt for steelhead. We love these rods.
Hi pdq. It's a 3wt 7'6" A3. A sweet rod though I feel it's a bit short at times.

And thanks to all for the positive comments! Days like these make me admire these animals even more. What a tough environment to live in!
Old 02-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Excellent report and cool photos! I enjoyed reading the report, thanks for posting it.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:39 PM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Outing

Great report!

Cool pics too.

Moe