The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 11:17 PM

montuckylucky is on a distinguished road
Default Predatory browns

So what do you guys know about browns predatory habits in the winter. I saw a 25+ inch brown today holding about a 6 inch rainbow sideways in its mouth just cruising a sidepool. I want to catch it.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Predatory browns

I caught one that weighed 9 1/2 lbs after it puked a 1 1/2 pound Rainbow up. Hardyreels designed a fly to look like a small Brown in the water because the big ones were eating them. They are really predatory. I'll bet if you used a really big minnow pattern or a mouse, you might catch it.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:21 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if a big big brown would take a 5/0 Rainbow Trout colored Charlie's Airhead?

Click the image to open in full size.

MP
Old 02-24-2010, 01:40 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure Mosca but if you want you can send the fly up this way and I'll try it out for ya
Old 02-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I wonder if a big big brown would take a 5/0 Rainbow Trout colored Charlie's Airhead?

MP
That would be a great one to try wouldn't it.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice little bow MP...last year I caught a little brown on dry...while I was pulling it ....it was attacked by a big one which only let it go...seeing the net
Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:

MP
I know it would be a great fly, my son and I watched something one time. The Little Red River (my home water) has a hatchery on it and every once in awhile they dump all the dead, half dead baby bow's in a pipe that emptys into the river. If the weather is right, low dark clouds and misting, BIG browns and bow's will come up and eat those little dead bows that range from 5" to around 9-10".
It is a hell of a sight.
I will have to learn to ty that one, great looking fly.
Bear
Old 02-24-2010, 08:29 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Quote:

MP
MP, that is sweet... here in the Sierras on the East Carson River, I caught 2-4#'s on Rainbow Rapalas last year... Every time I went out, I'd catch at least 1-2 of em... that would definitely work around here... where do I get a recipe for that fish catching machine?

- Justin
Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

MP
I believe i have read that Brown trout attack fish from the rear, so a stinger hook on that fly might increase the success rate.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure that the Rainbow Trout Charlie's Airhead will work for those huge predatory Browns. Sometime in the fall (when the browns go into pre-spawn eat anything that moves mode) on the East Carson or the Truckee, I might take the 8 weight and that fly and lob it around. Can you say, "chuck and duck?"

MP