The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 04:52 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default First trip out, what to use?

I will my making my first 2010 trip tomorrow. I will be fishing your typical trout stream, fast cold water, deep slow pools. I am just wondering what has been working around your area so far this year. I will be targeting browns, but might be a rainbow or two mixed in. I have several different hair ears patterns, as well as pheasant tails and copper johns. I also got into streamer fishing last summer, and love it. So, what's been the ticket?
Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First trip out, what to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdDryFly View Post
I will my making my first 2010 trip tomorrow. I will be fishing your typical trout stream, fast cold water, deep slow pools. I am just wondering what has been working around your area so far this year. I will be targeting browns, but might be a rainbow or two mixed in. I have several different hair ears patterns, as well as pheasant tails and copper johns. I also got into streamer fishing last summer, and love it. So, what's been the ticket?
I don't know if there is a ticket item in our area yet... have seen a lot of bwo on the water every time I go out, but only got a hit on one a couple weeks ago. GRHE, PT, and CJ's are all good staples... along with a few wooley buggers and golden stones. I also tied up a bunch of zebras but I didn't toss them around yesterday.

Hope you land some fighters.

- Justin
Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 AM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

SMALL seems to be key around here in NoCo. 20-24 midges, matching what's in the water under rocks is what I do
Old 03-02-2010, 08:07 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I would start with the staples, GRHE, CJs, PTNs, Prince nymphs, take an emerger or two, and if the fish are on top, EHCs, Adams, maybe a spinner pattern also. this time of year BWOs, Baettis, and stone fly patterns are also nice. The bottom line is you can load up a bunch of flies, but if you have the basics in a fews sizes and colors you should be able to hook a fish or two.

d
Old 03-02-2010, 07:21 PM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about
Question Re: First trip out, what to use?

.........So, how did you do?

Moe
Old 03-02-2010, 07:28 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

well, i didn't catch any trout, but i found a deer antler, so the day was not lost. the water was slightly stained due to snow melt, so i opted to just fish streamers. I had several follows and short strikes, but nothing committed to hitting. tried a black slump buster, an olive crystal bugger, a black and red sparkle bugger and one other one, but nothing. oh well, there'll be more days to fish.