The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Jumping fish (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/128447-jumping-fish.html)

joshgamble 04-20-2011 09:42 AM

Jumping fish

What is the trick to keeping the hook in when fish start jumping? I always lose them when they jump.

kglissmeyer1 04-20-2011 10:00 AM

Re: Jumping fish

A good tactic I learned early in my fly fishing experience is to "give them the rod tip" whenever they jump - just drop the rod tip and stretch your arm towards the fish. This feeds just enough slack into the line that when the fish re-enters the water it's not as big a jolt to leader and tippet. Not sure there is science behind it, but I've gotten in the habit of it and rarely lose fish when they jump.

Kelly.

mcnerney 04-20-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 (Post 244062)
A good tactic I learned early in my fly fishing experience is to "give them the rod tip" whenever they jump - just drop the rod tip and stretch your arm towards the fish. This feeds just enough slack into the line that when the fish re-enters the water it's not as big a jolt to leader and tippet. Not sure there is science behind it, but I've gotten in the habit of it and rarely lose fish when they jump.

Kelly.

Kelly, good tip, but I'm a slow learner, I'm usually sitting there dumbfounded when the fish comes out of the water and forget to lower the rod tip. I lost three really nice trout last weekend because of that!

Larry

goldentrout 04-20-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Kelly.

This has been my tactic as well. My thought too, is that when the fish shakes his head, while in the air, trying to lose the hook, the slack in the line prevents him from tearing the hook from his lip. I have seen that the amount of current in the river or tention of the water on the line in a lake acting on the line will create enough tention on the line to pull the hook out of his mouth if he throws his head really hard against it. Even if you give him some slack. A good hook set is important to keep that from happening also.

I feel your pain! What a let down to hook and fight a nice fish and get a good look at him flying through the air, only to see the fly come out of his mouth in mid air and your line go limp. Along with your spirits.
Many Kokanee have broken my heart in such a way in the past, like a treacherous woman.
It's still a thrill to witness and experience! It's just part of the game we play and keeps us coming back for more...........

fredaevans 04-20-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Kelly.

In Salt water fishing this is called "Bow to the Fish." Same idea.

fae

gt05254 04-20-2011 11:48 AM

Same idea in atlantic salmon fishing: bow to the king. There's also some neat physics involved. Draw a little picture...rod straight up, line down to the water...the fish can jump up easily. Same picture, rod down, fish doesn't have all that line up in the air, its more like its tethered down. Or at least that's how it seems to me.
Gary

joshuanoerr 04-20-2011 01:11 PM

On top of bowing, I have seen guys pull a little line off the reel. I've never tried that, I just drop the tip.

Seems like you would have to have fast hands, and it seems like too much work.

gt05254 04-20-2011 01:54 PM

getting hands near an active line sounds like disaster waiting to happen!
Gary

Upon further reflection, that REALLY sounds like a dangerous manuever. If you give too much....sudden slack....fish bolts...SNAP! Nope, not this kid.

fredaevans 04-20-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gt05254 (Post 244169)
getting hands near an active line sounds like disaster waiting to happen!
Gary

Thank Goodness I didn't have a mouth full of Coffee or Tea. You would have "owed me" a new key board.

Too funny by half!:worthy:

gt05254 04-20-2011 02:11 PM

Whew, close call for my wallet, Fred!