The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 AM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough
Default Jumping fish

What is the trick to keeping the hook in when fish start jumping? I always lose them when they jump.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jumping fish

A good tactic I learned early in my fly fishing experience is to "give them the rod tip" whenever they jump - just drop the rod tip and stretch your arm towards the fish. This feeds just enough slack into the line that when the fish re-enters the water it's not as big a jolt to leader and tippet. Not sure there is science behind it, but I've gotten in the habit of it and rarely lose fish when they jump.

Kelly.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
A good tactic I learned early in my fly fishing experience is to "give them the rod tip" whenever they jump - just drop the rod tip and stretch your arm towards the fish. This feeds just enough slack into the line that when the fish re-enters the water it's not as big a jolt to leader and tippet. Not sure there is science behind it, but I've gotten in the habit of it and rarely lose fish when they jump.

Kelly.
Kelly, good tip, but I'm a slow learner, I'm usually sitting there dumbfounded when the fish comes out of the water and forget to lower the rod tip. I lost three really nice trout last weekend because of that!

Larry

Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 AM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Kelly.

This has been my tactic as well. My thought too, is that when the fish shakes his head, while in the air, trying to lose the hook, the slack in the line prevents him from tearing the hook from his lip. I have seen that the amount of current in the river or tention of the water on the line in a lake acting on the line will create enough tention on the line to pull the hook out of his mouth if he throws his head really hard against it. Even if you give him some slack. A good hook set is important to keep that from happening also.

I feel your pain! What a let down to hook and fight a nice fish and get a good look at him flying through the air, only to see the fly come out of his mouth in mid air and your line go limp. Along with your spirits.
Many Kokanee have broken my heart in such a way in the past, like a treacherous woman.
It's still a thrill to witness and experience! It's just part of the game we play and keeps us coming back for more...........
Old 04-20-2011, 11:15 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Jumping fish

Quote:

Kelly.
In Salt water fishing this is called "Bow to the Fish." Same idea.

fae
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Same idea in atlantic salmon fishing: bow to the king. There's also some neat physics involved. Draw a little picture...rod straight up, line down to the water...the fish can jump up easily. Same picture, rod down, fish doesn't have all that line up in the air, its more like its tethered down. Or at least that's how it seems to me.
Gary
Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 PM

joshuanoerr is on a distinguished road

On top of bowing, I have seen guys pull a little line off the reel. I've never tried that, I just drop the tip.

Seems like you would have to have fast hands, and it seems like too much work.

I know I'm addicted
Old 04-20-2011, 01:54 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

getting hands near an active line sounds like disaster waiting to happen!
Gary

Upon further reflection, that REALLY sounds like a dangerous manuever. If you give too much....sudden slack....fish bolts...SNAP! Nope, not this kid.

Last edited by gt05254; 04-20-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: another thought. wow, two in one day.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:09 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Jumping fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
getting hands near an active line sounds like disaster waiting to happen!
Gary
Thank Goodness I didn't have a mouth full of Coffee or Tea. You would have "owed me" a new key board.

Too funny by half!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:11 PM

Whew, close call for my wallet, Fred!