The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 04:04 AM

webbcmh is on a distinguished road
Default 1st time Lake Shasta region - advice on gear needed....

Hi everyone
Hello from the UK. I am fortunate to be going for less than a week to the Lake Shasta region of Northern California in Mid May and want to introduce a great friend of mine, who lives up there, to trout fly fishing. As a gift, I have had a custom built fast 9' 5wt rod made for him and am bringing a medium/fast one along for myself. I am looking to match his one is one up with a Lamson Konic 2 reel.
What I am hoping for is some recommendations as how to rig the rods? What backing, fly lines, leaders tippets and flies. Here in the UK I tend to use 20lb backing with Rio lines and leaders. I assume there are three or four main methods of fly fishing used in the region and whilst we are planning to have a guide for one day I was hoping for some pointers on gear requirements before I leave the UK. As a rule I think we will be fishing still waters as opposed to rivers but all advice for all situations is welcome.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:08 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 1st time Lake Shasta region - advice on gear needed....

Not exactly what you're asking but just in case

There's some great rivers up there.. and that's all I've ever fished.

If you want river ideas.. you'll get more advice than you wanted - lol

Are you staying in Redding, at or above the lake?

The Lower Sacramento flows out of Shasta Dam and is an excellent fishery. Not sure about the runoff this year.

Not too far away:

Upper Sacramento - anything above the lake

Going East:
Pit River
Hat Creek

THE FLY SHOP® - FLY FISHING EQUIPMENT, GUIDE SERVICES, AND INTERNATIONAL FLY FISHING TRIPS

Reports: Northern California Fly Fishing Guide Service @ The Fly Shop®
Old 04-22-2011, 10:38 PM

chrome_jones will become famous soon enoughchrome_jones will become famous soon enough

Welcome Web,

Just my opinion, and don't get me wrong, the stillwaters in the Shasta area can be gorgeous. But, if you only have a couple days in that area, I feel, the wondrous rivers there would throw some serious special moments into your life. If I had the privilege to go do that with one of my buddies, stillwater would be the last of my concerns. The Shasta/Siskiyou/Trinity/ Klamath/Sierra moving waters in that area are spectacular, both fish wise and scenery wise. Don't sell your trip short. All those are in easy distance from where you will be. Call the Redding fly shop. Tell em you want scenery and fish and a guide, they'll hook you guys up. Great stillwater fishing up there, but you are traveling 1000's of miles. Have the guide hook you up with scenery and fish and I'm sure he'd offer you advice for some stillwater days after the guided days are over. Then you get both. That region is gorgeous don't spend it on a phony dammed up river pretending to be a lake.

Gear wise, every opportunity in the sport readily available there, depends on your preference. I'd say, gear you and your buddy up for what you love, so you can share it with him. Then ask the guide, where you can share that style in the days after, in the local vicinity so you can share your excitement in your environment. Let the guide hook you up with the great opportunities outside your style on the days you are guided, I would love to go up there and catch zero fish if a guide was gonna take me to some gorgeous spots. Shasta region is pretty much endless, so no one can tell you what to bring, its all there.

I could go on and on. Love that country.

-Jones
Old 04-22-2011, 11:58 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, your best source will be The Fly Shop based out of Redding.

I also agree that if you have time, fish some moving water like the Upper and Lower Sac, Pit, McCloud, Hat Creek, Fall River. There is just too much good water to fish in your limited time.

As for your stillwater tackle, a five weight with the Konic reel is a good fit. You should have a floating line and a spare spool lined up with an intermediate sink line (Rio Camolux or Cortland Precision Stillwater). Nine foot leaders of 3x to 5x should suffice. Your fly selection will consist of buggers, leeches, Sheep Creek Specials, damselflies, Callibaetis mayflies, and various midges. The Fly Shop will give you more specific details.

This year is a high water year due to record snowfall. The rivers and creeks will flow high and fast, so be careful in the water. Lake temperatures will be cooler than average.

Enjoy your stay.

Dennis
Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 AM

chrome_jones will become famous soon enoughchrome_jones will become famous soon enough

This thread is gonna make me jonesx2. Freakin endless opportunities, and gorgeous too. I hope he's serious. Opportunity of a lifetime. I think this year, chances are when he's coming will be a stillwater bust. Sh*ts gonna be half way up the mtn into the forest. Wrong time on a brutal water year. Gonna be awkward on the lakes at that point. Up to the minute info with Redding will put a man into good travels on which river is fishing right. My $.04 (current inflation). Darned gorgeous up there, theres gonna be a creek or river rockin 15-20+ trout in the vicinity, and priceless views. How can you go wrong with that?

-Jonesy - x2
Old 04-23-2011, 02:00 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Just think about those insane Baum Lake Calibaetis hatches.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 AM

webbcmh is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for all your advice - The reason for the stillwater fishing presumption is because my buddy does live right on Lake Shastina, so if I find myself with any spare time I may just try my luck outside his back door. However, I heed your advice regarding the rivers/streams/creeks and we will no doubt be pointed in that direction by our guide. On my way there I fly into Redding and if time permits intend to drop into the The Fly Shop to stock up on gear and advice.....
Old 04-24-2011, 03:30 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Lake Shasta is a great Bass fishery and if I was going for that I would suggest a 6 wt with both a floating and a sinking line. Poppers and such for the top and clousers, leech patterns and wooly buggers for underneath. I would go hit some of the rivers around the area for sure though.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:10 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

For fishing the upper Sac, above the lake, this is your 'go to folks:' Kiene's Fly Shop Forums - Powered by vBulletin