The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 12:49 PM

flyguyvr4 is on a distinguished road
Default First Spring Trip West

Hey to everyone! I am new to the forum, I joined to learn more and expand my abilities as a fly fisherman. I must say it is one of my favorite and most exciting activities I have as far as hobbies go.

I am from Midland, MI and have been Salmon and Steelhead fishing the rivers on the west side of the state since I was a small boy. This weekend I will be heading over to Brethren, a small town just to the east of Manistee, MI which is a huge fishery.

I come to you guys for some advice today. I when I go I will be expecting a good amount of the snow to be melted away and some high, murky water since we have had some spectacular weather this for this time of year.

I was curious if you guys could give me a set up on to get my fly to the fish. There will be deep holes and fast water. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to all

Kyle

Last edited by flyguyvr4; 03-05-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: grammar error
Old 03-07-2010, 11:13 AM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: First Spring Trip West

WELCOME!!

Not sure about that water in partciular, but san juans, egg-patterns (where legal) and pink scuds; using indicators - seem to be working out west right now.

Advice for melting-snow though, after fishing yesterday on Gallatin, "carry a wading staff" and poke at those iffy spots in front of you; as my fat arse fell 3 feet thru the ice and got wedged under it for an embarassing couple minutes?

PS: dont worry bout those gramatical errors in furture; nobody will call ya on them?!

Moe

Last edited by moe b; 03-10-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:38 PM

flyguyvr4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Spring Trip West

Hey thanks for the advice Moe.

Well we mad the journey west, it was extreamly cold in the morning but thankfully the weather was predicted to warm up in as the day went on and i did, it was a spectacular day to be on the river regardless of fish count.

As i stated above, we arrived to our first destination and the water was FREEEEZING. I could only bare to be in the water for 15-20 mins at time then walk about the shore to get the blood flowing to near frost bitten feet. Nothing seemed to working, streamer and egg sucking leaches were useless and and my last resort, SPAWN wouldn't even bring in the hungriest of fish.

We stayed for about 2 hrs and decided to leave. As were were leaving a canoe arrived in the middle of the river and first cast they had caught and landed a nice sized steal head.............bummer

Our next destination was to a smaller river, Bear Creek in Brethran MI. In high hopes, we arrived with sun just blazing warming our backs. We walk up stream to a small creek and surprisingly we started catching 5-8inch baby rainbows.........how fun. After, we then moved to our "honey hole", the mac daddy of holes, fished for hours and NOTHING. What were we doing wrong? Through out the rest of the day, we spent our time wading and searching for our destination to produce at least one fish.

STILL NOTHING, well we may have gone empty handed but it was very nice to be on the river. No regrets. I think it might of just been a bit early for, will be back for more next weekend.

Sorry for the long write, I just love to share detail. Hope you enjoy!!

P.S. Does anyone know how to upload images, i have pic i like to post for you guys!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:34 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Spring Trip West

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyvr4 View Post
P.S. Does anyone know how to upload images, i have pic i like to post for you guys!
Upload the pic to a photo sharing site like photo bucket. After it's uploaded, right click and copy image location. Create a post here and click the mountain button at the top, control+v or right click paste... click ok... picture will be in your post.

- Justin