The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 04:32 AM

super fly fisherman is on a distinguished road
Default Float Tube vs Inflatable Boat

I have a question about still water trout fishing in float tubes Vs inflatable boats. I have noticed that not many stillwater anglers use a 2 person Inflatable boat like thisClick the image to open in full size.

I bought a seyvlor boat like this and I always find myself trying to decide between using the boat or the float tube. I usually end up using the boat because it keeps me out of the water. But mostly because it seems to me that in my float tube, kicking with fins as propulsion will spook fish more easily than gliding atop the water with the oars in the boat. Especially when I'm working near the shore for trout cruising in the shallows. Is that a valid idea or is there a reason I always see fly fisherman in float tubes instead of inflatable boats?
Old 03-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Float Tube vs Inflatable Boat

I guess it all boils down to personal preference. I can see that the boat has a couple of advantages in keeping you dry, it can carry more gear and maybe not disturbing the fish like the fins might do. On the other hand a tube or pontoon gives you the ability to use the fins to hold your position in a breese while continuing to fish. I see a lot of folks using tubes and pontoons on the local stillwaters and a lot of them are slowly trolling the perimeter of the lake looking for the trout.

Larry
Old 03-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Usually when using a float tube you are fishing small water and I think it is handy to be able to turn or move with out picking up an oar or paddle. I don't know if I agree that oars or paddles are less bothersome to the fish than flippers that are used properly. I use a float tube or pontoon boat with flippers and don't find that I am bothering fish. If I am right on top of the fish that may be true but I fish away from the tube or toon.

Larry is right, it is all about preference. I might add that if the lift raft was better than a tube or toon then you will see a lot more on the water.

Frank
Old 03-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I had one of those boats once. Used it twice. Like mention, for the most part out of the water, but still some water and depending on launch area...mud.

Tube/toon You are totally hands free the whole time. Spook fish? They usually aren't right under me. I still cast 30 and more feet, then strip. Can't imagine fins spooking anything.
But when that breeze licks up...no question, float tube/toon all the way. Not wrestling with the oars trying to hold a spot and I don't care for anchors.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:48 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Superfly,
I've been kicking around the same conundrum. Toon or tube, tube or toon...or...RAFT. As has been stated it really comes down to personal preference after you have weighed all the pros and cons that people can give. We are lucky to have so many knowledgable and helpful people here on the board.
As for me I'm still undecided but in my searching stumbled across this site.
Inflatable Boats and inflatable kayaks from SeaEagle.com
Hope this is helpful.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 PM

crawdad is on a distinguished road

IMHO i would go with the Float Tube or a Pontoon Boat, (you can't fish and use the oars at the same time.) At least 80% of the time i am using the fins on my pontoon boat to move me around, the only time i use the oars is when i want to move to a new location that is a good distance away.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:18 PM

drnihili is on a distinguished road

I've been fishing out of a Sevylor inflatable kayak for quite a while. It works quite well and I don't have any difficulty managing fishing and a paddle at the same time. It's a lot easier to head across the lake in too. The float tubers rarely seem to get far from the launch area. Of course now that I have a canoe, I prefer it to the kayak. I even have a little trolling motor so that I don't have to fight the wind or current to get back. Pontoons have always seemed to me to be the worst of both worlds - all the limitations of a float tube and a boat wrapped in a single expensive package. But then I'm the guy in the canoe, what do I know?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnihili View Post
I've been fishing out of a Sevylor inflatable kayak for quite a while. It works quite well and I don't have any difficulty managing fishing and a paddle at the same time. It's a lot easier to head across the lake in too. The float tubers rarely seem to get far from the launch area. Of course now that I have a canoe, I prefer it to the kayak. I even have a little trolling motor so that I don't have to fight the wind or current to get back. Pontoons have always seemed to me to be the worst of both worlds - all the limitations of a float tube and a boat wrapped in a single expensive package. But then I'm the guy in the canoe, what do I know?
I don't think a canoe is any easier than a Pontoon to cross anywhere. Pontoons have oars too. Plus flippers to cruise very slowly over a fishing spot, or to hold position in the wind, can you do that in a canoe? No limitations. Can float in inches of water, unlike a tube. Anything a canoe can do, a pontoon can do.
Can you stand in your canoe while floating a river? Can you put your canoe in as trunk? Wanna talk limitations...;-)
Old 04-13-2010, 09:39 PM

drnihili is on a distinguished road

My canoe rides on the truck, I can mount it solo. Yeah, I can stand in it. Not sure why I'd want to though. I've seen pontoons use the oars. My barge of a canoe goes faster without breaking a sweat and tracks far better. Cruising slowly over a fishing spot is trivial if you know what you're doing with a paddle. I'l grant that a pontoon with flippers will hold position better. But a float tube holds position better than a pontoon and I can take my son with me in the canoe, with everything we need for all day, my wife if she wants to go, a cooler, etc. and head down river or across the lake with no worries.

Sure, I'd take a pontoon boat if it were given to me. But I'd just sell it and buy a better canoe.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 PM

I don't agree that a tube can hold better than a pontoon and I do have both.
I will give you the multiple people for a "cheaper" price advantage.
My 65 lb pontoon sits nicely on the Yak roof mounts. Put a second frame on my toon and it is two man. Put the extra deck on my toon and you can include that kitchen sink..;-)

It's cool you love your canoe, but your facts on a pontoon are not complete and miss informed.