The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 06:08 AM

nhflycaster is on a distinguished road
Default Golden Trout Fisning in the Winds of Wyoming

Looking for information on fishing the Winds for Golden Trout. Past and Future trips.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:42 AM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Golden Trout Fisning in the Winds of Wyoming

We found Goldens in two lakes on our last trip.....Faler and Clear.

If you check Untitled, about halfway down is our Wyoming trip and I believe part three shows Faler and Clear Lakes. Both are a pretty good walk in.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:17 PM

nhflycaster is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Checked out your trip. Looks like you had a great time. We are going for 5 days on horse back with an outfitter out of Pinedale. It will be my first time going for Goldens. Can't wait. Do you have any suggestions on what flies to use?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:36 AM

For streamers we used the JJ Special, drys were Grasshoppers, Ants and Elk Hair Caddis. Any idea what trail you will be going on.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 PM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Golden Trout Fisning in the Winds of Wyoming

Cool video. Looks like you got lucky with the good weather. Every time I've gone into the Winds i always get hit with serious weather at some point. Those packs were incredible!!! Looks like each of you had 60-70lbs on your back. Looks like you had everything but the kitchen sink. And pistols too, wow!!!

I've done quite a few solo backpacking trips into the Winds and there is no better place in the world for trout lakes. And there is no better resource for packing into the Wind River Range than Rich Osthoff's book Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry. The book is written from a backpacker's point of view and covers many other areas other than the Winds. But this guy spent twenty summers wandering the Rocky Mountain backcountry and he spent more time in the Winds than any other place. And trekking for trophy Goldens is his passion. Look at the back cover page at:
Amazon.com: Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry (9780811727662): Rich Osthoff: Books Amazon.com: Fly Fishing the Rocky Mountain Backcountry (9780811727662): Rich Osthoff: Books
He has incredible details on a 100+ lakes in the Winds. Here are some neat words from his Wind River chapter.......Even if the Winds had no golden trout, the range would a high-lake shrine. But the Winds do have goldens, in more than a hundred lakes, including a couple dozen trophy fisheries. Of the top two dozen golden lakes in the Rockies, as many as twenty may be in the Winds.

I assume you will be heading out of either the Elkhart Park trailhead or the Boulder Lake trailhead. The area is very popular with outfitters and has many lakes with golden trout. You're not going to find any bruisers where you're going, but you will definitely hook into some goldens up to 15 inches or so. The area abounds with fantastic cutthroat lakes as well.

For drys, I've always had luck with Wulffs and Elk Hair Caddis. Wooly Worms and Scud patterns are great for under the surface and during choppy conditions. Golden trout are the most elusive of all trout, but you will find them a lot of fun to hook into. They're real fighters, and they're by far the most delicious trout. Please do not eat any of the larger goldens you get, there are plenty of pan sized goldens around to dine on. And there are tons of lakes in that area that have brook trout than need to be thinned.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Cool video. Looks like you got lucky with the good weather. Every time I've gone into the Winds i always get hit with serious weather at some point. Those packs were incredible!!! Looks like each of you had 60-70lbs on your back. Looks like you had everything but the kitchen sink. And pistols too, wow!!!
We were very lucky with the weather, had a total of about 30 seconds of rain the whole week. It was our first backpacking trip and yep, we packed way too much. My pack was 67 pounds, not counting a 5 pound handgun.

We learned a lot and am returning to do it again Aug 20th. My pack will be just under 40 pounds.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:52 AM

countr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to beholdcountr21 is a splendid one to behold

Wow!!! Only 30 seconds of rain in a week in the Winds. I've never seen anything like it, but I'm jealous. I'd do anything to be with you guys during that trip. Unlimited hiking with no weather.........WOW!!!! I'm in heaven.

The fishing must of been amazing with no pauses between downpours. Everytime I go into the Winds the weather kicks my butt good!!!!!