The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 04:33 PM

auker9 is on a distinguished road
Default leader/tippet length for trout

I recently aquired a 5 ft long 3 wt fly rod that i think im going to use for trout. i know i will use it for native brookies and more then likely used it on the smaller stocked streams around here. my question is, what length of tippet and leader would i want for this rod? what about for my 8'6 rod for bigger streams, how long for that one? and for any of you who make your own leaders, what size do you start with and then to what size and then to what size, ect. and how long of each different size. hope this makes sense
thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 06:53 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: leader/tippet length for trout

Auker, .....Man..... good question..... lol

I'd say the length of your leader should be contingent upon water clarity (more clear, more leader....) and spookiness of the fish there-in (more spooky, more leader....) Don't really know how to answer it any other way. Clear water with spooky fish is going to require a long leader. Ask me to put a number on a 'long leader' and I guess I'd say 10 + feet (as I consider a 9' leader to be 'standard'). But a 10' (or even 9') leader on a 5' rod (did I read that correctly?) seems like it would be a bear to cast.....
Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I read somewhere (sorry I cannot state the source) that the general length for a leader and tippet is somewhere around one to one and a half the length of the rod. That would expect why one would see tapered knotless leaders packaged in mostly 7.5' and 9' lengths. From there, the length of the leader can be adjusted for the factors that Raindogt stated.

For a five foot rod, I'd buy a 7.5' leader and tie some tippet on and call it good.

MP
Old 03-26-2010, 05:54 AM

Thanks alot for the responses guys, yup yo read right, a 5 footer. i think it will be alot easier then a big 8'6 foot. thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to echo the 7.5 length, but again how clear and spooky are the fish?
I have a 5'3" 5 weight and it is stiff as all get out. Plan on that with a 5' rod. It will be more of a challenge to cast.
I am betting it is HALF of a rod set up for a little rod.
Good Luck
Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 PM

well i think its a good one, its made by la crosse. and its only a 3wt but i have 8wt line that i could put on it if that would help...what do you guys think?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:26 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by auker9 View Post
well i think its a good one, its made by la crosse. and its only a 3wt but i have 8wt line that i could put on it if that would help...what do you guys think?
I frequently over-line a rod by one or at most two weights; using an 8 wt line on a 3 wt rod might be asking for trouble. If you keep casts very sort, though, you might get by.

I have a 6.5 foot 4 weight that I've gone as high as a 6 wt line and it was fine; I only used that heavier line on very windy days, though. A 4 or 5 wt line is no problem.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 04-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Brook Trout Leader;

Depending on the material you use (I use Maxima with a floro tippet) sizes may very; the diameter of the sections is in thousandths of an inch.

.017 > 18"
.015 > 14"
.012 > 14"
.009 > 14"
.005 > 14"

This formula gives you a six foot leader that will turn over well. The tippet strength will be around 4 lbs and that will give you some leverage when you snag a branch or the weeds on that Brookie stream.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanks Hardy!
this is just what i was looking for!