The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 05:23 PM

wrex equipment is on a distinguished road
Default Best Line For Targeting Trout with Streamers...

I'm looking for opinions on the best line for streamer fishing for trout on both rivers and lakes. Primarily, this will be used on the Truckee River, but I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone and get a line that I could use from a float tube or boat on alpine lakes as well. I'm thinking maybe a clear intermediate line (like a Cortland 444 Clear Camo), or maybe Rio's Outbound Short Intermediate Tip, or maybe SAs Clear Tip Streamer Express?

Set up is a 9ft 5wt Sage ZAxis, which I don't mind overlining if need be....
Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Line For Targeting Trout with Streamers...

I think any of those will work fine. I like the clear intermediate line Cortland 444 Clear Camo on my 6 wt for stillwater fishing and the SA Clear Tip Streamer Express 250 grn on my 7 wt for tossing big streamers on big water.

Also: You might want to listen to what Denny Richards has to say about lines for stillwater on this episode on Fly Fishing Internet Radio: http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/sp...esentation.cfm

Larry

Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Kelly Galloup helped develop these:

Mastery Textured Series Nymph / Indicator - Mastery Textured Series - Lines

He seems to be Mr Streamer.. lol
Old 04-28-2011, 07:05 PM

Do you think the SA Streamer Exp. in 200 grain is too heavy for a fast 5 wt (ZAxis)? Would the 150 grain be better?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 PM

tbuzz is on a distinguished road

IMO it is too heavy get the 150. I have the SA mastery series streamer express w/ 50 ft head. It sails out there. I use it on a 6wt rod and on a recent trip used the set up lot. A friend that was with us had a 5wt z-axis he was using to indicator fish. I tried it b/c I had never cast a z-axis and it felt like a twig. I don't think you will enjoy that combo. SA line is sweet though..get the smaller line

The new SA salt water is bad a.. also.. rolllcast it double fly indicator rig in the wind at 60 ft.

TBuzz
Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Wrex, are you over-hand caster or into water-loads? How big a fly?
I can water-load (with a heavier line 200g. and lrgfly), better, than I can I aerialize my cast on the Z. with same.. 200 is a bit heavy though for a 5wt.
Generally heavier water gets the heavier line too.
Lower cyn maybe-200, upper,Upper canyon-150gr (or lighter).
I think of this as splat and strip style, near shore 150gr., and sink/swing in deeper water 200gr. or more..
The problem is, there's so much junk in the water here, that true swing style can be limited to "sections of water"... but deadly.
I will do the streamer thing with stripping basket and all. Love the GRAB!
But find I can access more water here, dead-drifting a streamer on an indy line or, steel head taper line. Twitch and drift! Fish shallower, and more "twecherwis" waters....
without worrying about losing your whole line on some re-bar, or bloody beaver trimmings!

Some of us are fishing a floaty A.Salmon/Steel head taper, and dropping a weighted leader, or even hand-built short lead tips off of it. Raises the line, lowers the fly, and roll cast, to avoid bushes on a back-cast. Not skagit style or indy style, somewhere in-between.
It's all good.

See ya on the water.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 04-29-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:12 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Jim has the line thing figured out for the Big T.

Stillwater fishing is really done best with a full sinking line. It is easier to keep the fly at depth since the whole line is underwater. I'm liking the new Rio Camolux intermediate line more than the Cortland 444 Classic intermediate. It feels slicker than the Cortland line, and has less memory issues.

For Sierra streamer fishing, here are my setups.
Rivers
5 weight rod/Cortland Precision QD 24 feet 175 grains
6 weight rod/Cortland Precision QD 24 feet 225 grains

Lakes
5 weight rod/Rio Camolux WF6F
6 weight rod/Rio Deep 7 WF7S7 (only when I need to dredge)

Dennis
Old 04-29-2011, 03:16 AM

Funny you ask about overhead vs. waterload casts. I'm working on incorporating some singlehand spey casts when the situation calls for it, using Ambush TT as a dry line for that. Slowly, I'm learning....

Anyway, What I think I'm looking for is a full intermediate line (like the Rio Camolux that Dennis mentioned) vs. a sink tip line like the SA Streamer Tip or Rio Outbound Short, etc. that would handle waterload/singlehand spey casting experiments and still cast a size 6 TA Bunker relatively well. Then keep the fly down in Galloup's zone (~18" below the surface) on the retrieve. Any ideas?

Thx, Matt.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Dennis is right about lake line, and river lines. Different needs for each.
There was a period I tried lake lines in the river, just not suited to this water.
Although, I do use a Rio DC300 gr. on an 8wt, in the deepest pools in the canyon, and out at Pyramid lake..
Since I changed to switch style on the river, I rarely use the traditional overhand casts now.
Almost all my casts are water anchored. (80-90%) Even with dries many times.
Don't know how I got by all this time, without these casts.
Freed-up, describes the feeling.
I fish so much more efficiently, with far fewer problems, this way.
Even beginners can fish most of the day without issues.
Perfect style for the Truckee river too.
Here, I generally use a weighted fly (or separate weight) to get down, more than a weighted line to take a weighted/unweighted fly down.
(On a lake, I like an unweighted fly, and a weighted line.)
I fish streamers in 10" of water, to 10'+ down, in pools. All on a Rio steel head taper.
Just by changing leaders, split shot, and/or different weighted flies, I can fish much of the water column.
Personally, although the lines you mentioned are great (especially the SA streamer tip),
unfortunately, I don't think any of them are suited to single handing.
All have small diameter running lines that will not allow for longer range roll casts. The part of the line you roll, must weigh almost as much as the tip, to get a good turnover at distance.
To fish "Gallup style" here, (18" down), a double taper floater will work well close up,
with a slightly/more heavily, weighted fly.
The SA will overhand well, and is good for a splat-strip style, but if you stop stripping for too long, you hook bottom.
I guess after twenty years of fishing here in various styles on this water, it's why I've settled on this methodology. Easy/effective. What more do ya want?
If you want to walk the water to test a line, on your rod or mine, give me a shout.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-01-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Jim - I may try and hook up with you once these flows die down a bit, many thanks. That freakin river looks scary right now though... looks like a guy could get hurt if he wasn't really careful right about now.