The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:43 PM

auker9 is on a distinguished road
Default ---favorite steelhead flies---

hello again,
well i am tying up some flies for someone and i need to tie him a dozen variety steelhead and mega trout flies. he mainly fishes dries but wants a variety. i figured id tie him a few sucker spawns and glo bugs and maybe a mouse pattern. but what else could i tie for him? what are you favorite fly patterns? do you have any pictures of them? any and all help is appreciated.
thanks alot fella's
Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ---favorite steelhead flies---

What is interesting is that a lot of Steelhead that I target will chase trout flies.

For nymphs, I like using Flashback Pheasant Tails and Prince Nymphs on size 8 to 12 scud hooks (TMC 2457). A variation that I like to make on the Prince Nymph is to use purple dyed peacock herl. I will also use tungsten beads to make them heavier.

I also tie Woolly Buggers on size 6 hooks. I tie some in black and some in purple. The variation that I do uses hot pink or hot orange Spirit River Hot Beads instead of a brass bead. Basically, I just tied an Egg Sucking Woolly Bugger.

One of my favorite summer flies is called Big D's Dirty Lowdown. It is tied with partridge, CDC, Ice Dub, and wire on a #10 TMC 7999 hook. It isn't pretty compared to a lot of the traditional Steelhead flies, but it has a great profile in the water.

Click the image to open in full size.

MP
Old 03-30-2010, 07:13 AM

Mosca,
thanks alot for all that information. i didnt know if steelhead were into trout flies really or not? that fly looks simply to tie, do you just dub the body and rib it then tie in the cdc then the duck after that? thanks and do you ever use dries for steelhead?
thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 07:40 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Any good steelhead box will contain some small stonefly patterns, 10 - 14's.
Flashback nymphs are also on the list.

MP I like that fly, looks like a dandy...

Dan
Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by auker9 View Post
i didnt know if steelhead were into trout flies really or not? that fly looks simply to tie, do you just dub the body and rib it then tie in the cdc then the duck after that?
On the Trinity River in Northern California, one of my friends swears by a #12 purple or blue Copper John. I have never tried it, but what the heck.

The Lowdown is easy conceptually to tie. It can be frustrating when the stem breaks on the CDC or the partridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auker9 View Post
thanks and do you ever use dries for steelhead?
thanks
I have not fished traditional dry flies for Steelhead, but I have the urge to try out skater type flies next summer. Think as skaters as dry flies that are swung. Here is a picture of John Hazel's Low Water Caddis (size 6).

Click the image to open in full size.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 03-31-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-31-2010, 07:56 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Fishing the Erie Pa tribs I have done very well on Prince nymphs.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:09 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough

In my neck of the woods, everything from glo bugs to jig head flies and even swinging tube flies such as the following. I would go on this website and take a look at his flies for tubes. They are incredible.

Oak Orchard Flies - STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Old 04-04-2010, 04:06 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Been at 'this business' for 50 some years and in the past few going through a personal 'evolution.' Atlantic Salmon flies. Amazing how well many of these things 'adapt' to our side of the Pond.

Not the big/pretty things, but 'stuff' aimed at Sea Trout and AS. Amazing how they produce. No advertising intended here, but here's a link that gives you a very good idea of 'what works.' Given a choice I either tie/buy on a Silver Salar hook (damned expensive things I might add!). With a 'double' if a fish even touches the fly, you've got him.

Period.
http://www.graysofkilsyth.com/salmon_flies.htm

fae
Old 04-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi auker9,

We have started some threads in the Alaska forums (click Forums and then scroll down to find us) one contains salmon patterns and the other steelhead patterns. There will be more posted to the threads as our members submit them but there are a few there now with tying recipes. Feel free to take a look,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Hardy,
thanks alot, im new to this forum and never really even looked. thanks again