The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Sometimes plans change

I was all set to do a day trip and fish the eastern part of my state; sometimes plans change. I had called Jeremy on Monday and asked him if he wanted to go with me out east to fish on Wednesday. He said sure that sounded fun, now the question was where specifically. Sure we could fish one of the famous places but we had other ideas.

Later Monday night I checked my email. Jeremy sent me a message basically stating that the weather was going to be really bad over there. I don’t believe this in all my excitement to go fish over there I had forgotten to check the weather.

When I woke up the following morning I checked the weather for the closest town to the creek that we wanted to fish. The weather report called for 80% chance of snow but the wind was forecasted a lot less than they were calling for the day before. Unfortunately Jeremy called and said he had something come up and was not able to fish on Wednesday.

Oh **** what to do now….. Do I go east solo in very bad weather or do I stay and fish one of the local spots………….

When Wednesday came around I found myself at a place that has been all too familiar to me this winter. The day was cold, but not too cold and cloudy. There was absolutely no wind and off and on light showers/ freezing rain. I got geared up and headed down to the water.

Click the image to open in full size.

I was pretty excited to get out and fish as it has been a while since I fished. I was also curious to see how my new boots worked. You see a couple of days ago I made the switch from felt to vibram. I started the day off throwing nymphs under an indicator (aka bobber ). On my second cast I had a strike and the fight ensued, this fish had some serious power. Just when I went to net him he popped off and swam away.

I resumed fishing and a short time later I had another fish on. I landed this nice guy, took a couple of shots and sent him on his way. I fished this first run for a few hours catching quite a few fish. I did notice a lot more smaller fish in this area than during the past three months. Actually up until today the smallest fish I have pulled from this run was 16”. I am glad to see the future generation of hogs in training.

After catching a lot of fish at the first run I decided to go check out some other spots. The first spot I wanted to check out had two cars parked in the turnout. I thought it strange because I have never seen anybody else fish that run in the past. It is one of those overlooked places. Oh well off to the next one, that one also had a car parked in the turnout. Ok on to the next………. I guess the third time is really a charm, as there were no vehicles there. I got out and went right to fishing. I caught several fish from this spot and decided to move on again.

I fished a few different spots, when I decided to go back to the place I started at. Lucky for me when I got there it was open which honestly surprised me. Just like when I was there in the morning the fish were really on when I returned. There was a nice BWO hatch at one point. I tied on a BWO, I got a few refusals. I then tied on an Adams and that did the trick. I was happy that I was able to get some off of dries as I was sort of sick of nymphing and throwing streamers.

All in all it was a fun day. I got into a lot of fish, and had a good time. My new boots seemed to work well on this river. As far as this particular river is concerned I would say that I liked them better than my felt boots. Yes they are heavy compared to my other boots, but in all honesty I didn’t even notice. They seemed to stick just fine without studs on the slimy rocks. I will need to test them out in different places to make the final determination. However I will say that it is looking good so far.

I hope you enjoyed this report.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sometimes plans change

Well done man! Looks like a great time.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sasha: Great fishing report and great photos, I really enjoyed your post!

Larry
Old 04-02-2010, 09:05 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Sasha, As always a great report and pics...

Dan
Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Next time you change your plans Sasha....let me know about it
Great report!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys! I will admit that I was a little disappointed that I did not get to fish out east. However those browns were still fun to play with

I am also very happy with my new boots. They exceeded my expectations so far.