The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 04:17 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Got into some Steel with Kruggy

Went out thurday alone and got 4 steelies then went out the next day with Kruggy and we both got 4 more each. enjoy the pix! fish were taken on single glo eggs and small black streamers.
Click the image to open in full size.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:12 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Got into some Steel with Kruggy

Glad to hear it George...Were you fishing the "V"? How's Kruggy liking his switch rod?

Dan
Old 04-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Whoa!!

Wow, I don't catch trout that big up here! You guys had an outstanding day Mc Fly!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:30 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

ya v like always dan. also kruggy loves his switch. said its his go to steel rod from now on. lol. I roll casted it a couple times and it was pretty cool. thanks hardy all the steelies here are pretty good sized like these. that small one in the pic was the smallest I have ever caught. thought it was a bass or something at 1st lol. looks like its only 12 inch or so.

Last edited by GeorgeMcFly; 04-03-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:49 PM

auker9 is on a distinguished road

wow, that stream looks about the same size that i fish and expect to catch little 10 inch trout!! nice catches!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

How were the crowds on the tribs? I am thinking of driving up on Thursday.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:21 PM

I bet your 10 inch trout are smarter than these dumb fish. these fish are awesome to catch but they are just stocked Big Manistee strain Steelhead. They do not spook at all really to much. I have walked up to them in the water when crossin the river and then just backed up or went around and casted to them and caught them easily. have caught the same fish b4 andalso my buddy has caught a fish I have caught and vise versa lol... once in awhile some PA strain stockers will make it here tho in the fall cause they spawn in the fall. These Manistee are here from Fall till the end of spring. You can catch them in the fall but they are in the deeper holding waters and I usually use streamer patterns then. Winter is tough on the fly rod. So far been skunked at it for 2 years?? Spring is prime fly time tho. fish are starting to spawn and move to the shallows. Then you can target them in the tailouts and shallower riffle type waters. ythey eat egg patterns stoneflies and clouserss,bunny leeches, buggers etc. You can even sight fish to them when the waters clear. kinda fun to swing a bugger or clouser and watch a 30 inch steel chase your fly down and hammer it!

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
How were the crowds on the tribs? I am thinking of driving up on Thursday.
Thursday prolly be just fine (I fish weekdays usually) as long as the rains aren't bad this week. Weekends can be busy.. Then again it was good friday when I caught these fish and the spot I fished had 3 times as many cars as usuall. for some reason noone was in my fav spots so we still got into fish.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:11 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Job well done McFly. Looks like a enjoyable trip to say the least. One day I'll give some Steelie fishing a try.

Justin