The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default Every good boy deserves favor

We arrived at the river early on a bright clear day. The first clear day after a weeks worth of overcast and drizzle. A crisp 62deg but headed towards the low 80's.

Click the image to open in full size.

My 12yo (I mention him alot here) was ready to hunt trout and he proceeded to do just that. Nothing was hatching right at the start so he started with an indicator and pair of nymphs. He got his first fish this way..a nice 9in rainbow. This set his confidence...he landed one brown about an hour later.

An awesome caddis and Mayfly hatch started so I switched him to dry's...a number 18 para hares ear. He landed two this way...a brook and a bow. It was somewhat of a trick shot as they were sippin at the head of this big pool. The only way to reach was from upstream so he would cast high, hard and hook the leader back...then feed line out fast to extend the drift and pickup just as the dry hit the end of the reach.

We moved around some, hitting riffles runs with swing and retrieval of nymph pairs, also targetting "hot" spots with timed/possitioned lifts.

here are pics of some of his better fish...he covered them well I think.

Just before lunch he slipped and floated his hat. The day was warm but the water...not so much. I fished the hat and him out and we headed for lunch and some dry cloths. During lunch he set himself a new goal of 12in+ fish to take home to mom for dinner. After a full afternoon of fishing he was still without his "big one". I set him up in this spot after seeing some large ones holding along a current edge and using the swing and lift..

Bingo....it was just at 12" but handsome a bow as could be. He was so happy and satisfied.

You can't pay money for this type of experience with your kid. This is the Epitome of priceless.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:49 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Every good boy deserves favor

Nice pics! It's always fun getting out and catching fish with your kids.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice report and pics JJ!
You can't pay money for this type of experience with your kid. This is the Epitome of priceless...
His smile is your best reward
Old 04-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice,

I think that sums up my feelings.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-05-2010, 02:08 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the great comments. I hope you guys don't mind my braggin on my boy. I'm just so proud of him. He practices hard and seriously plus tying his own flies. It was hard for him to hang through the learning and days of very little if any action, especially when he litterally slays the bass and panfish with his fly rod. Trout are so much more picky and it took him time. Wading for a little 90 lb boy is tough. Its a good hurdle to get over...we all have slow days but for a newbie its harder because they aren't sure if they are "doing it right". Now he can simply say "its a slow day" or "the fishing just turned off" or anyone of the other great excuses we all use.

thanks again.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JJ: I loved your trip report! It is great getting a chance to teach one of your children the joys of fly fishing! If we ever get a chance to fish together, be sure to bring your son with you. He would really enjoy fishing out of the drift boat hooking into the big rainbows and browns that we have out here.

Larry
Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 AM

Thanks Larry, He would indeed love to land one of your large Wyoming trout.

Thanks for asking him along. We'll get together and wet a line asap, I just need to figure how to make it happen. Maybe in the fall once this big software project completes. I know I'm jonesing big time. Such a fishing trip would be something that he would remember his whole life and most likely use as a measure against all other trips. I'd have to get him into the bighorns and fish those smaller trout as well. He doesn't believe me when I tell him 8" trout on almost every cast.

I'm not dead yet so anything is possible!!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Great report, that was too cool
Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 PM

troutbound is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Every good boy deserves favor

That was an experience of a lifetime. Nice to see you cherished it with your son. Way to go.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

JJ, Keep posting the good reports about your son and yourself...It's great that you're teaching him the way of the fly...

Dan