The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Beautiful Rainbows On the Lower Sacramento River

These are Upper Sacramento River wild Rainbow Trout on my very first trip fly fishing from a drift boat on Saturday 4/30/11 & Sunday 5/1/11. They were caught dead drifting indicator rig with three nymphs using my Allen & Co Nano Ti 9' 6wt equipped with one of my Allen Trout 5/7 Reels. There was lots of wind on Saturday, but the wind was gone on Sunday. I caught a total of 10 fish on Saturday and 15 on Saturday. The fish I caught were between 13"-17" with the majority being 15"-16".

The fish below were all caught Sunday 5/30/11 and taken by me with guide Hogan Brown holding them. The fishing partner I on Saturday 4/29/11 took several pictures of me holding fish, but he emailed me yesterday informing me he left his camera in the guides pickup. The guide and my fishing partner were friends so hopefully the camera will be mailed to my partner very soon so I can add those pictures to this thread. I ended up leaving my fleece jacket in the boat on Saturday, but it was old so it won't be a big loss if I don't get back.

4/29/2011

Click the image to open in full size.

5/1/2011

Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 05-03-2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Title Correction
Old 05-02-2011, 07:47 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Beautiful Rainbows On the Upper Sacramento River

Isn't that the Lower Sac? (Below the dam)
Old 05-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Beautiful Rainbows On the Lower Sacramento River

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Isn't that the Lower Sac? (Below the dam)
Yes dang it I do that all the *&%# time.

Frank or one of the mods if its not too much work could you edit the title of this thread for me so it says Lower Sacramento River.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good to hear you got some fish Tom, I took care of the title issue. Too bad about your jacket, funny thing I would be upset because it old, I like my old stuff more than new stuff.............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fish, Tom.

If Hogan still has your jacket, he will get it back to you. He is a very honorable person.

Just wondering, what was the hot fly of the trip?

Dennis
Old 05-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Tom: Congrats, that looks like a good trip and some nice fish!

Larry

Old 05-02-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Good to hear you got some fish Tom, I took care of the title issue. Too bad about your jacket, funny thing I would be upset because it old, I like my old stuff more than new stuff.............
Ard- Thanks for fixing that for me. It was great to get away from everything and the fishing was great for me on so many levels. Until this trip the biggest trout I'd ever caught on a fly rod was 15". On Saturday I caught my first of several 16" fish and again on Sunday plus a 17". Which for me is a big deal as prefer size over numbers and in this case I got both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Nice fish, Tom.

If Hogan still has your jacket, he will get it back to you. He is a very honorable person.

Just wondering, what was the hot fly of the trip?

Dennis
Dennis: Hogan is a great guy and I'm confident I'll likely hire him again by myself sometime this year. By the way since you are familiar with that area on Sat with Ernie we fished all the way From Anderson Park to Jelly's and with Hogan from Anderson Park to the Barge Hole.

1. Rubber Legs (Stone) with the varigated Chenille body.
2. Sucker Spawn
3. Eng Theng
4. Caddis Pupa

In that order.

I actually left my Jacket on Ernie Denison's boats on Saturday. I'm sure The Fly Shop will send it back. I'm more concerned about my fishing partner getting his camera back though as he was using a very nice Digita l SLR and it was his wife's camera. He and Ernie are pretty good friends as he has gone out withh Ernie quite over 30 times so if he finds the camera and/or my jacket I'm confident we'll get them back. Hogan is a great guy though.

This trip was interesting as we had to people from the club set up two Lower Sac outings on the same weekend. That's why I ended up with 2 different guides as one group was fishing Fri and Sat and the other on Sat and Sun. Since I had to work Fri and wanted to fish for two days I fished with both groups.

Gees I almost forgot on Saturday I also hooked into what the guide and I both estimated to be 6 lb. spring run Steelhead in the Barge Hole, but I lost it on the first run down river when it came out of the water. What a thrill that was for shot bit though!

Last edited by FlyBum; 05-04-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you had fun on the water Tomyour bows look far more beautiful than the stocked ones I caught last week
Old 05-03-2011, 04:37 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Those are beautiful fish, Looks like it was a good day.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Congrats, looks like you had a great day...

Dan